General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:36 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

Front most of the time however I do use both on occasion like coasting down a steep hill, emergency braking, etc.

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:45 PM
knuck36
Intermediate

start with the rear,slow down, grab clutch, then add front brake,unless you need to stop fast, grab all three at once.

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:18 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
frotn for actual braking and the rear if i want the person behind me to know i am stopping/slowing down
OK, I gotta ask... why would the rear brake (as opposed to front?) inform the person behind? Don't both brakes activate the brake light?

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:22 PM
DanD
Road Captain

front brake light switch is pretty cheesy,back one works better.at least in my case anyway.

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:48 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jambon1
I'm not sure who these experts are but they probably are not MSF Instructors. I do not consider myself to be an "expert" only an experienced rider and Instructor. As a MSF instructor (1987-2005) I taught according to the Rider Handbook, constantly reiterating my instructions for PROPER braking. "The BEST way to achieve maximum braking is to apply both brakes fully without locking either wheel. Simultaneously squeeze the front brake lever and apply the rear brake pedal. Keep the body centered and look well ahead, it helps you keep the motorcycle in a straight line."
I have not been affiliated with MSF for almost 5 years now so if this procedure has changed I apologize. I think there is a little confusion here since in the other posts there are quite a few riders on here stating that they use the front 70% and rear 30% of the time. The proper procedure taught throughout the Nation is stated above. Now....When you apply both brakes fully, the front provides approximately 70% of your stopping power and the rear provides approximately 30% of your stopping power.

As I had stated earlier, you will run into circumstances where you may need to improvise and adapt to your riding conditions.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.
That's why I put "expert" in quotes, although they seem to come from credible sources I do not know for certain. The only one I do have confidence in was one of my advanced course instructors who was also an Indianapolis motor officer. He taught always apply to both but it seemed I remember he also agreed putting the most pressure on the front lever, but again always using both. (well except for slow speed in gravel, sand, etc)

No apologies needed, you are more qualified then I. Maybe I need to find that anchor Schu suggested.

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:59 PM
treefiddy
Road Master

I like the controlled braking of both, if'n I gotta stop quick I am always ready, also my right foot is often perched above the rear brake and 1 finger over the front due to so many left turners and pull outers in front of us.

Old 03-22-2010 | 11:11 PM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by PPBART
OK, I gotta ask... why would the rear brake (as opposed to front?) inform the person behind? Don't both brakes activate the brake light?
The front brake light on my bike was disconnected, seemingly by a professional. I had to go inside the connector to reconnect it. I believe it was either done at the factory or during the time it was in service as a police bike. With the excess play the hand brake lever has, I've learned since reconnecting it, that the brake light has a tendancy to engage intermittently without provocation from the rider...

And, I use both brakes equally, except when it may be dangerous to apply the front brake.

Originally Posted by treefiddy
I like the controlled braking of both, if'n I gotta stop quick I am always ready, also my right foot is often perched above the rear brake and 1 finger over the front due to so many left turners and pull outers in front of us.
They also teach not to 'cover' the front brake, as it could lead to a tendancy of the rider to pull the brake lever unexpectantly which can very likely cause a 'mishap'.

Last edited by CroK; 03-22-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 | 11:35 PM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Too much front in the wrong condition's can cause trouble.. but just slowing down in the country from 30-40 mph i use mostly front.... panic quick stops means both without locking them up...

Old 03-22-2010 | 11:39 PM
ClsikRider
Advanced

Both for me. Using rear brake is nice to square my tire off not much good for stopping though!

Old 03-23-2010 | 12:10 AM
DanD
Road Captain

I locked em both up once...when an elderly couple pulled out in front of me slowly while i was doing 70,I missed em by inches.the bike wobbled a lot,and kicked up a lot of smoke off the tires,but i stayed upright.kinda freaked me out.

Quick Reply: Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..