General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't know anything about trailers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Lazy_KP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a 5x10 enclosed and a outboard Kendon. I prefer the Kendon because its light weight. Comes with tie downs / wheel chocks / independent suspension / and best of all it folds up in my garage. But i don't have a large enough shop in the backyard to keep my enclosed trailer so I would probably have more of a favorable opinion on the enclosed trailer if I did.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6X10 V-nose. It hauls the bike, and it holds the grill, and a cooler, and I can sleep in it, and I can keep a porta-potty in it, plus the stuff that I don't want in the car and I keep stuff in it when it is in the yard. I get a lot more use out of it as a covered trailer, YRMV.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

A 4'X8" HF kit trailer will work fine. I built this one to haul a 900 lb Rune over 1,500 miles to do the Dragon. It tows great with ramp carried under the bed, two spares, 6 tie down D rings and a tongue jack.

Just over $600 in components. First $450 at my house gets it. Have bigger trailer now for three bikes and camping.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

If u buy used. Must check wheel bearings. If it is old check to to see if you can find parts.
Or else you will be the guy on the side of the road with a wheel gone. Good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Here , use this search engine to find a used Kendon or whatever.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

I think U-haul has an open bike trailer they rent , another option.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
howa
Advanced
Default Same Boat

I'm looking for a trailer myself. I need a folding trailer because I don't have a place to keep anything larger. Harbor Freight has 4x8's with different weight capacities starting at $329. Redtrailers.com has similar kinds of trailers although theirs look sturdier. I intend to use mine to get to where I want to begin my ride. I really don't want to spend a couple of hours on the highway to get to the places I want to see, nor do I want to end the day with a two hour highway ride home. Especially since we'll be 2-up. The whole scenario doesn't make for a happy passenger.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Open trailer leaves your bike exposed to everything. An enclosed trailer hides the bike and protects it from the elements.
Kinda like when you riding your bike down the road huh. If your bike is some kind of show piece I could understand. But if your gonna ride your bike your never gonna keep it perfect no matter what you do. Believe me I've tried and I finally come to that conclusion. And with the savings I get on gas I will gladly wait until I get to my destination to detail my bike. I've had my trailer going on 5 years and I don't have any regrets yet. It's gonna sit beside your house more then your gonna use it anyway.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
eisterd
Road Captain

I'd go enclosed for a couple reasons. 1. if you plan on stopping at a motel on a trip you can sleep instead of staring out the window all night. 2. you can roll your toolbox in there and strap to wall and not worry about spending your vacation looking for a repair shop in a strange place if you need to work on it. 3. In the winter you can put all your lawn junk in it to make room in your garage to do mods. It's a shed on wheels, and actually sometimes cheaper than a shed. and if you are traveling from north in the winter and end up in a chit storm, you won't be looking in the mirror the whole time saying sorry,sorry, sorry,sorry to your bike, cuz it WILL remember!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by kccustom
Help me out, I am going down to Texas to visit relatives and I want to take the bike.

I would ride it but my wife does not want to be on the back the whole time and I have no bags or anything for "luggage".

I probably would use a trailer a few times a year so I don't want to invest my life savings into one.

So like the title says I know Jack Sh* about trailers so I could use some help with:

What size is good for a single bike?
Is enclosed really worth it?
What brand and where to buy? (checked crags and ebay)

I am sure I will have more question but I really don't know where to start so I will start here

Thanks!
With what you have for a tow vehicle IMO your limited. If you are not going to use it that often IMO see if you can negotiate with the wife to drive down while you ride. If that wont work than look at the Kendon or landscape trailer.

An enclosed trailer is IMO the ideal choice for security and keeping the bike out of the elements but it comes with wear and tear on the tow vehicle and fuel costs. I don't think your vehicle is going to like pulling a 6x10 or 12.

A landscape trailer like the Kendon can be a cost effective solution but whatever is on it is out in the open and it has to be stored. The plus side is that the landscape trailers are cheap and can be had for under a grand.

Choice is yours but "if" you are not going to use it often and "If" you don't want to store it try working the wife first.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everybody, I think I will rent a flatbed for this trip and when I get a stronger vehicle I will get an enclosed.

Quick Reply: I don't know anything about trailers!