General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transitional Sunglasses Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Transitional Sunglasses Experience???

Been looking around online for sunglasses that transition from dark to clear depending on the light of day. Seems like I always ride home after dark and I'm sick and tired of keeping track of two pairs of glasses. Sunglasses for day, clear glasses for night... I just want ONE pair that I can wear in any condition.

Does anybody have experience with those "transitional sunglasses?" A brand you like, that fits well (keep in mind I have a large head), and lenses that actually do what they say they do?

I don't need a prescription pair of glasses... proud to say I have excellent vision. Just want something that is comfortable, reasonably priced, and durable.

Found these online as an example.
http://www.lightadjustingmotorcycleg...les/hero24.htm

But I'm leary to jump. So I thought I'd ask first.... $70 seems reasonable. Though I've never paid more than $15 for sunglasesses in my life.

Local eye doctor said he'd make me a pair of non-prescript transitions for about $300. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 AM
08FXST
Cruiser

I have Wiley-X light adjusting glasses. I like the fit, and the foam seal for riding the bike. However, there is a problem with the light adjusting feature for where I live (Central Australia, which is similar I guess to Arizona). The glasses for my use do not go dark enough to suit the bright, bright sun here. I'm replacing them with some changeable lens ones. If however you don't live somewhere that has a sun that's trying to kill you, you'll likely love them.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Got a pair of Wiley X's. They transition from dark to light ok. On a bright sunny day, they are not as dark as a pair of dedicated sunglasses. Some folks with sensitive eyes may find them not dark enough. If you want to keep your excellent vision.....by a good pair of glasses and be done with it. They can be exspensive, and some very overpriced for what they are. You only have one set of eyes, take care of them.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have prescription transition safety glasses. I love them and they work as they should.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Hmmm. So the transition to "dark" is not really that dark? Interesting.

I had a pair once that had changeable lenses. popping them in and out all the time eventually broke them. not good experience for me. maybe they were cheap-***?

Recommend any interchangeables that are durable? Wiley-X? Never had a pair of "good" sunglasses so I'm clueless. All my glasses have come from vendors at bike rallies, gas stations, CVS, or Wal-Mart.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
I have prescription transition safety glasses. I love them and they work as they should.
got a pic? did you pay out the butt for them? i could probably get them without a scription.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray
got a pic? did you pay out the butt for them? i could probably get them without a scription.
I will get you some pics later today of them clear and dark. But this morning I have to go to the DMV and get my Vet tags.

PS: they get plenty dark enough for sure.

Edit: I paid about 300+ for them, but they are prescription and safety also.

PSS: They also have that bendable frame.

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 03-17-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have used these and they work fairly well. My problem with all of them is they never transition enough either way. They are not dark enough during peak sun and never go totally clear at night. I can tolerate how dark they get but I live out in the country and I want every bit of night clarity that I can get with the deer and such. If your riding is somewhat suburban with some street lights then they would work well.

http://www.bobster.com/catalog/produ...ly=Road+Hog+II

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Gaurd Dog changers. you can get then online from gaurd dog i have been wearing gaurd dogs for five years, the changers are new you can still change out the lenses when they get scratched up the frames are warrenty for life, service is great.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second pair of prescription Transitions. I like them and will continue to get them. Some things you should know, however. 1. The transition feature does not occur nearly as fast as the TV ads suggest. It might take 5 minutes to get from dark to completely clear indoors. 2. They are temperature sensitive. Oddly enough, they get darker when the temperature is cooler--like in the 40s or below--than they do in the summertime. 3. They transition less after several thousand cycles. I called their company and was told that they are good for about three years in ordinary use. That's just about the length of time I go between prescription changes, so it works for me but may not for you.

Quick Reply: Transitional Sunglasses Experience???