General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transitional Sunglasses Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, save your money. I have tried several pairs over the years and yet to have them work as advertised. Just get two pair.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Wiley-X with both clear and smoke lenses. The Wiley-X will cost you about $75 on eBay. A pair of replacement lenses cost about $15 on eBay. I buy a new pair of both clear and smoke lenses every year at a cost of $30.

BigLow

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 7eye (think they used to be panoptix) air dam transitionals. They work as advertised..could be just a tad darker, and the air dam is only slightly better than glasses that have no foam. I don't feel their quality (or wiley X for that matter either) justify their cost, but considering I don't have bags, 1 pair of glasses is a good thing.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

I have a pair of the driving transitions, they tint behind a windshield or face shield, polarized, they don't get real dark, and they don't go clear, but they are comfy and have been god at glare relief, downside, expensive.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
disturbed07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 eye

I use a new pair of seven eye and have been really happy.
They dont get dark enough but have been suprised how well they work here in the southwest sun.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by petemac
I have the Panoptix transition glasses and they're great about 90% of the time. The only issue is riding into a rising or setting sun, then the glasses aren't dark enough...
+1 I also have a pair of Panoptix and they've been great for me. I got the Cyclone FX variety. Especially nice since I don't use a windshield 95% of the time and they have the foam ring around the frame to keep out wind. They ran me $125.

http://www.7eye.com/store/product.ph...cat=257&page=1

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
I have the 7eye (think they used to be panoptix)...
Exactly. However, they still sell the Cyclone FX branded as Panoptix since they are their best seller.

____

To the OP: I'd reconsider. Transitional lenses are the only way to go IMHO especially since you won't have to be carrying two pairs of glasses or a second pair of lenses... and won't have to worry about breaking the lenses when you're changing them out. YMMV

Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yk.hd
To the OP: I'd reconsider. Transitional lenses are the only way to go IMHO especially since you won't have to be carrying two pairs of glasses or a second pair of lenses... and won't have to worry about breaking the lenses when you're changing them out. YMMV

yeah. i'm on the fence. Thanks to all for some damn good input.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thomaskray
yeah. i'm on the fence. Thanks to all for some damn good input.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pair of Wiley-X with the transitional lenses and I did not have them long before I bought a second pair with blue mirrors. I now use the transitional lenses on real cloudy days and at night. I have blue eyes (light complexion, blonde hair) and my eyes are very sensitive to the sun. There is no way I could stand riding for any length of time in the Georgia sun with those things - they just go not get dark enough.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 AM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a pair of transitional HD's. I like them, but they don't always transition when they should. Going from indoors to out, takes forever for them to darken in the sun. I can't figure out why. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. So, I have been thinking about getting goggles with changeable lenses.

Quick Reply: Transitional Sunglasses Experience???