General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transitional Sunglasses Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of WileyX transitions and don't wear them because they don't get dark enough.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

I bought a pair of transition goggles a few months ago from the HD dealer. For riding, I like goggles more than regular glasses because I don't usually use a screen, and can't stand having friggin tears run down my face. Spend a few more bucks, and get that free back pack.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate

I don't like buying expensive glasses either because they usually get scratched or forgotton somewhere. I got talked into a pair of HD transitions the other year by the salesgirl at Iron Block HD in Adams Centre New York while down in the states. They cost me $125.00. I have a large head also and was doubtful (gone through 10 pair of glasses trying to find good ones) but actually they fit good, don't feel heavy and don't move around. They darken/lighten as the day changes pretty quick, not so thick you can't see out the side without turning around like some, and I only need one pair of glasses for day and night. I believe you can also buy replacement lenses if they do get scratched. They come in a bag inside a big chrome case which is too big for a pocket but my EG Classic has lots of room. Try them. I know it's a bit pricey maybe for some but they're pretty good. It seems eyewear is one of those things you get what you pay for.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Spooky2621
4th Gear

I have a pair of Wiley X with transitional lenses. As others have said, they don't get very dark so if you have sensitive eyes, that might be a problem. Also, the eye doctor said they will get less dark as time goes by. I've had mine for about 9 months and they haven't caused me any problems.

Plus, the foam inserts really keeps the wind out.......

Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
CaptainCarl23
Novice

I bought the Harley progression goggles about 3 years ago. I like them even into a sunrise/sunset. They were about $100-125.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray
Been looking around online for sunglasses that transition from dark to clear depending on the light of day. Seems like I always ride home after dark and I'm sick and tired of keeping track of two pairs of glasses. Sunglasses for day, clear glasses for night... I just want ONE pair that I can wear in any condition.

Does anybody have experience with those "transitional sunglasses?" A brand you like, that fits well (keep in mind I have a large head), and lenses that actually do what they say they do?

I don't need a prescription pair of glasses... proud to say I have excellent vision. Just want something that is comfortable, reasonably priced, and durable.

Found these online as an example.
http://www.lightadjustingmotorcycleg...les/hero24.htm

But I'm leary to jump. So I thought I'd ask first.... $70 seems reasonable. Though I've never paid more than $15 for sunglasesses in my life.

Local eye doctor said he'd make me a pair of non-prescript transitions for about $300. Thanks, but no thanks.
Yeah the ones in your link are from Global vision. I bought their Freedom 24 transitionals last spring at a bike show.
http://www.globalvision.us/products/.../freedomdn.php.
They work... Mine go from a light smoke to black depending on light. On the outside the lens turns dark enogh that you couldn't see my eyes but looking through them they don't seem that dark. I like them, my only complaints would be that they are a little small, I have a big face so I have that complaint with most glasses and they don't work in my truck. I guess they need the UV's to transition. Mine came with a microfibre pouch that you can use to clean the lense's, a microfibre cloth for the same purpose, a removable eye cup so you can wear them as just sunglasses and a strap that can be used instead of arms(they interchange). Definitely worth it if you don't want to carry 2 pairs.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I wear prescription glasses and riding goggles, and have using transition lenses for the last 2 years.

They are convenient but not dark enough when the sun is low and you are riding towards it, I have to put my left hand up to block the sun in those circumstances.

I have also had trouble with the riding goggles getting light spots on the lenses - probably damaged coating from rock chips and bugs.

Otherwise, they are great.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

Thanks guys. Based on the info, I think I'll skip the transitions.

Might go with the interchangeable lenses instead.

Now.... the real question is.....

What color frames and lenses would a "real" biker wear?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
mrgoggles
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

www.liquidpolarized.com
I got the Smoke polarized gaskets. They are by far the best glasses I have ever owned. Only down side is they do not fold. I think you can get other styles that do.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

U mean taking off the reg, glasses and putting on shades.......Yea I do that...

Quick Reply: Transitional Sunglasses Experience???