General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transitional Sunglasses Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't tried any in years. The last pair I had were OK but really didn't get dark enough ion the sun or light enough indoors. Hopefully they have improved them in the last 10 years.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Been wearing them for many many years and will not ever be without them.They work that good for me!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to check on when looking for a pair of sunglasses is to get polarized lens.. There is a big difference in the way they cut the glare, but, they will screw with your digital readouts and may put a weird pattern on your windshield if you have one.. I have decided to put up with 2 pair of glasses.. clear/yellow for night and dark polarized for day.. My best pair ever was sitting on top of my head while I was leaning back against a rail on an aircraft carrier(it was docked)the wind took them right off..they didn't float..

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i wear transitions but have had great success with $5 amber shooters glasses from Walmart. You see farther in fog and glare at night is reduced. the amber also increases clarity in daylight. when flying i can see much clearer making airport recognition much easier.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

7-EYE Diablo glasses.........

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a pair of the HD day/night. I also find they do not darken to the point of dedicated sunglasses, but they are adequate, and the convenience of not having to change out lens is great. I've had the same problem with prescription transitions.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
I'm on my second pair of prescription Transitions. I like them and will continue to get them. Some things you should know, however. 1. The transition feature does not occur nearly as fast as the TV ads suggest. It might take 5 minutes to get from dark to completely clear indoors. 2. They are temperature sensitive. Oddly enough, they get darker when the temperature is cooler--like in the 40s or below--than they do in the summertime. 3. They transition less after several thousand cycles. I called their company and was told that they are good for about three years in ordinary use. That's just about the length of time I go between prescription changes, so it works for me but may not for you.
I agree. Also, the Transitions treatment doesn't get as dark as the old "Photogrey" treatment does and it's a bit slower as Uncle Scrooge said. I have prescription safety glasses with the Transitions treatment. I run heavy equipment and they work fine for me on the job and on the bike. The last pair of Transitions I had lasted just over 4.5 years before the coating wrinkled on the glasses and made the glasses unusable.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have them for my regular prescription lenses...not dark enough.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM
zski
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not bought them yet, but Bikershade.com has some. They have two kinds, smoke to clear and amber to yellow, not very pricey either ( $45 on sale). They claim they change colors in 20 seconds

Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Panoptix transition glasses and they're great about 90% of the time. The only issue is riding into a rising or setting sun, then the glasses aren't dark enough. A few times I've had to change to my dark Wiley-X's or I wouldn't have been able to see.

Quick Reply: Transitional Sunglasses Experience???