General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Parking in Manhattan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Parking in Manhattan?

I am from the city originally (Brooklyn) but now am in the suburbs. Occasionally I need to go down to Manhattan, and usually drive my car down. When I do that, I always park in one of the many parking garages around the city. I don't park on the street.

Now that the riding season is here, I'd just as soon ride down. But I'm not sure if any of those garages take bikes; obviously, the ones that aren't "park yourself" are out unless they just let you park the bike in a corner somewhere.

Anyone here from the NYC area? where do you park when you go into Manhattan for a few hours?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
jayray
Tourer

BMW dealership10th ave and 48th or so free for a couple hours.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a poor hick from the sticks who visited Manhattan last summer, just let me say this. If you would ride a scoot in Manhattan, you've got bigger ***** than me!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
As a poor hick from the sticks who visited Manhattan last summer, just let me say this. If you would ride a scoot in Manhattan, you've got bigger ***** than me!
+1

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I live here in NYC and thankfully have a garage to keep the bike in but when not there I usually park on the street for a few hours if I'm out to a movie, dinner or something. Not many car parking lots accept bikes from what I've heard. On the street I try to park at the end of the block between the last car and the crosswalk, less chance of getting knocked over. There are places that are painted in a cross-hatch where traffic is not allowed, usually at a road "V" (some in SoHo), or a bridge anchorage (by South Street Seaport and such). Often bikes park here and aren't ticketed. If you park on the street realize there are no more parking meters in the City. Instead you need to find the "parking kiosk/machine" and purchase a little paper ticket to put on your car's dashboard. Oh, it's a bike? They didn't think of that! I get one and stick it in the windshield mount if I have the windshield on. If not I wedge it under the seat or stick in the fork bag. Ya gotta figure it will blow off or get stolen for some cager to use anyway. Some of the machines don't take ATM/credit cards so I went on NYC website and bought a "Parking Debit Card" so if I used it, the paper slip blew off and I got a ticket I could plead my case to the judge but you don't get a receipt and I doubt the card registers the sale since they're disposable. But 95% of the time I don't bother at all anyway. If you can space on the street with other bikes, park there. Don't park on East 3rd Street between First and Second Aves. Don't park near a motorcycle dealer or shop unless you have to, they are high theft areas because that's where thieves can easily find bikes and see if there's one they like. I try to park in front of a bar or restaurant because there are more people coming and going and the thought is that you may be out at any time. Although the mopeds and scooters park on the sidewalk and don't seem to get ticketed, a motorcycle might unless it's situated between trees or planters or barricades where there couldn't be pedestrian traffic anyway.

Any way you slice it, it sucks in NYC.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

You could park here. East 3rd Street in Manhattan. Nice neighborhood. I don't think anybody messes with motorcycles in this area.

Attached Thumbnails Bike Parking in Manhattan?-800px-hells_angels_new_york_by_david_shankbone.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

So many problems,,,, so little time.....
U guys in the big cities just have issues us small towners never even though existed...

Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
CRAZYEYES
6th Gear

I'm going to the Indian Larry block party, can anyone recomend a decent hotel in brooklyn where my bike won't get stollen?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out risingwolfgarage.com. Not sure what their short term deal is like.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Just more reasons to avoid any city. Any city sucks, IMHO.
Rode the Street Bob into Philadelphia, to visit the wife while she was in hospital. Parked the Bob next to the bicycle rack, near the entrance of hospital. Told the security guard where it was parked and he notified the patrolling guards to leave it alone.

Quick Reply: Bike Parking in Manhattan?