General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handicap/Disabled Blue Placard Locking on Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
50ronnie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handicap/Disabled Blue Placard Locking on Bike

For those of you that have and use the Handicap/Disabled removable blue placard, how do you lock them to your bike when you use them for temproary parking?

These blue placards are stolen all of the time and people pay big money for them(those that don't qualify for them).

I can't seem to find any holder with a locking cable or some other manner to lock them to the bike and remove it when not necessary. Would appreciate if anyone has seen or has such a purchased or home-made device to post URL or pics of yours.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

youll need to make one, if you have ever seen those baseball card plexiglass cases for storeing valuable baseball cards that screw together something alone that lines would work perfectly just bigger, i normally dont bother displaying mine cause the parking ticket folks around here have already seen it many tiems and know that my bike is alowed to park there, but for out of town if theres a parkign enforcment officer near by i just show it to him/her and be on my way if i get a ticket i take it to court and explain that there is no place to safely display it on my bike and get the ticket quashed

Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine drilled a small hole in his, near the top. He uses zip ties that he keeps in his fork pouch. Just cuts it with his pocket knife when he's ready to ride. Sure..a thief can cut it, it's just for honest people. So far 2 yrs, no one bothers it.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Dragan
Tourer

where I live, it's a two part process; the hang tag and a registration form. I had a vinyl handicapped decal with my reg. # on it, and affixed it to the lower left corner of the windshield. I was asked once to show my registration (in a National park), but other than that, never had a problem.
That said, there is a disabled riders group in England that has had a lexan permit holder manufactured, and they sell it to raise funds. If I recall correctly, it has some sort of cable lock to attach it to the bike.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

State issued Handicap Plate for my bike (yearly fee), Disable Vet Plate for Car (no yearly registration fee).
But Coyote's Idea sounds good, you'll just need to come up with a mount for the bike.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

My wife has a handicap and we faced the same issue. We finally went with a handicap state motorcycle plate that solved those issues. No more worries.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yep dad has the handicap motorcycle plate its on the bike all the time. But you should see the looks people give a guy on a scoot when he wips in a blue spot. Guess they didn't realize that after they ran you over cpl years ago you would be disabled.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

we had that problem here in Wyoming, so i wrote a handicapped motorcycle license plate bill, and backed by my ABATE brothers and sisters,and 5 long years of work, we got it passed.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

why not just get the plates themselves.. Ours has them, though maybe not all states have them????

Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb In Utah

they only issue one h/c plate per household. I figured the bike would get the plate, and I would use the placard in the car. Works for me.

My handicap involves my poor lung function. Happily, it doesn't affect my ability to ride, and if I go to high altitudes, the oxygen cylinder fits right in the saddlebag and I run the cannula tubing to my face.

The following users liked this post:
fr0van (10-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Handicap/Disabled Blue Placard Locking on Bike