General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD leveraged buyout?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
dukester
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cncbc just talked about the rumor - they say KKR is the rumored buyer, to take HD private.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard AMF is in the hunt also...

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Not much action here for the last 10 days. No way to tell for sure if this will bear fruit or not because things like this get done in the dark of night, late and night and behind the scenes so as not to attrack any attention. Other than KKR, the other suitor is speculated to be Berkshire Hathaway. Remember Buffet and crew floated 150 million in bonds @ 15% a year ago, to keep the MOCO afloat. Somehow I don't think this is the kind of deal Buffet would go for. But KKR, that is a far different story. This is the kind of deal they feast on. Any deal would be better for the MOCO than what they have now. KKR would probably run the company for a couple of years and clean up the balance sheet and then let it go public again. Kaching, kaching! Given the fact that it has been so quiet since the 16th. actually gives a deal like this a little more creadence me thinks.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

I hope that Willie G or some other members of the family are involved, maybe even ****** it away from KKR.
I don't agree that Harleys, will still be as popular if they are manufactured overseas, I think that would be the end, here in the states. Harleys are great bikes but that American Legend, or American Iron or Born in the USA are the main drawing cards that Harley has. Myself, I can't even imagine a Harley built by TaTa Motors or Mahindra. I think that would trash the whole Harley Image

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Originally Posted by CroK
No matter who makes harleys or who owns harley, there will always be buyers for harleys...
I have to respectfully disagree. The single biggest factor that put me on my Harley was the fact that it is an American company whose product is made in America by American workers.

If HD gets bought by some Dubai firm...my next bike will be a Brass *****, Sucker Punch, Fly Rite, etc.

Nothing against the import bikes...I just like my country better than theirs.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleybass
I hope that Willie G or some other members of the family are involved, maybe even ****** it away from KKR.
I don't agree that Harleys, will still be as popular if they are manufactured overseas, I think that would be the end, here in the states. Harleys are great bikes but that American Legend, or American Iron or Born in the USA are the main drawing cards that Harley has. Myself, I can't even imagine a Harley built by TaTa Motors or Mahindra. I think that would trash the whole Harley Image
2nd that,and they did that once back in 83(I think) from AMF.....bought it back along w/ all the employee's of the Co., almost did'n happen for'm....AMF was gonna sell it off.....not sure that could happen today consider'n the MoCo's $$$ trouble, but, hopefully we won' see a 100+ yr old American Icon go in the ......an' the rumor'd buy-out dude's(KKR) ain' no small time bag o'chips......pretty much known for buy'n large co's, rape'n m' for all they're worth, an sell'n off the piece's........

Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Potential Buyer

Good Day All
KKR the supposed investment firm is a well run company. Typically, they only invest and are not raiders who strip a company and sell it. In most of their acquisitions, they let the company maintain its individuality, management and corporate "identity". I have been involved with two companies that KKR acquired. They grew, have better financials, better products as KKR puts money back in the business to increase their worth. It might not be a bad thing for us riders.

Attached Thumbnails HD leveraged buyout?-dog-days-of-summer.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear Hongzhau Motorcycle Co. is in the hunt for Harley. I can't wait to get me one of the Communist China Hongzhau Harley's with a picture of Chairman Mao on the tank!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LBOs work when the assets of the target company are worth more than the cost of the buyout. I don't think Harley has sunk that low so far. However, if the stock sinks into the low single digits again, that could be a possibility. As far as someone acquiring the company with hopes of turning the business around, I don't think it's possible in this market. The demand for heavyweight motorcycles in down and still sinking, showing no signs of a comeback. It seems that the only course for H-D at the moment is to keep shrinking the company to fit the decreasing market and hope to survive until the economy improves. The announcment of H-D's Q1 2010 results next month will be an excellent indicator as to their future courses of action.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnT
LBOs work when the assets of the target company are worth more than the cost of the buyout. I don't think Harley has sunk that low so far. However, if the stock sinks into the low single digits again, that could be a possibility. As far as someone acquiring the company with hopes of turning the business around, I don't think it's possible in this market. The demand for heavyweight motorcycles in down and still sinking, showing no signs of a comeback. It seems that the only course for H-D at the moment is to keep shrinking the company to fit the decreasing market and hope to survive until the economy improves. The announcment of H-D's Q1 2010 results next month will be an excellent indicator as to their future courses of action.
No sign of a flagging economy here(Vancouver Canada) as far as HD is concerned. They are flying out the door, stock is becoming short supply and the sales staff are running ragged. No CVOs of any kind to be had
and most all Ultra Limiteds gone. No 09s left either.

Quick Reply: HD leveraged buyout?