General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Warranty Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
sassygirl1068
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Warranty Info

I just posted in the New section, but I figured I would try here as there are a lot more people. My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a 2010 heritage from a dealership about two hours away in Greenville, SC. We live in Lexington, SC. This is our very first bike. I feel as if the dealership is kinda screwing us around a little. They are not wanting to come off information and are being shady. I know factory warranty is 24 months, but is this a fender to fender warranty? What do you feel about an extended warranty? What the finance man is saying, is that the factory warranty is 24 months, unlimited miles, but it is a limited warranty. Because of that, he is throwing in an extended 2 year warranty (for $1349) that will cover the bike fender to fender for 4 years. He also threw in a tile and wheel warranty and GAP. He didn't throw in a thing, as they all have a price. We don't know what to do...and my husband is so excited, he just wants his bike. Me being the more practical one, wants to know every penny that we are going to end up paying for! Any advise?
Oh, and we have already out down a $500 deposit on the bike and it is non-refundable

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Albreave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are limits to every "warranty" Harley offers. Read the fine print, it will cover mechanical failure. It will not cover normal wear and tear and scheduled maintenance.

I have not yet purchased the warranty. They are peace of mind, but generally, they are a huge profit for the dealership. Most people will not recoup what they spend. Those that buy the warranties generally say it was a good purchase, those that don't, generally say it was good not purchasing it.

I'd drop GAP from Harley. Harley offered us GAP when we purchased one of our bikes, it was 499. Our local credit union offers GAP for 199. Shop arround, you can get it much cheaper if you really want it. The wheel warranty may be worthwhile, but as I understand it, it is not a stand alone feature and you have to purchase it with the extended coverage.

I'd say just purchase the bike and tell them NO on everything else. They will try and make you feel like crap for not buying it. Tough. You have until the end of the factory warranty to purchase the extended coverage if you really feel you want it. It will cost you slightly more, however.

In the end, do what you feel is right. However, don't live outside your means! If you're not comfortable spending 2grand extra for peace of mind no one blames you.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 PM
sassygirl1068
6th Gear

Albreave, thank you so much for your insight. I know my husband would be more comfortable with the extras, but I think I agree with you. The thing I don't understand, is they are saying if we purchase the extended warranty now, it will enhance the factory warranty???? I don't understand this, and this financing guy is really nice (of course), but VERY reluctanct to breakdown the numbers or show us anything until we come back to sign the papers. I just don't know. I want to go to a different dealer, but I don't want to lose the $500 bucks!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Your extended warranty starts from the purchase date. So the best thing to do is
purchase your warranty at 23 Months. You can get this at any dealer so shop the
quoted price.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
sassygirl1068
6th Gear

Oh, and the extended warranty is $1349, Gap $749, Tire and Wheel $600...quite expensive. Also, did you finance your bike with your credit union or could you just purchase GAP from them?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by sassygirl1068
Oh, and the extended warranty is $1349, Gap $749, Tire and Wheel $600...quite expensive. Also, did you finance your bike with your credit union or could you just purchase GAP from them?
Get the tire but get him to lower the price for that. You
will get a better rate at your credit union.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Albreave
Advanced

Wow, that's a lot for GAP! If you're able to put enough down payment down, you don't need GAP at all.

I did finance it with the credit union, but several insurance companies will offer GAP-like coverage as well.

Interesting to note, you can purchase the extended coverage from any dealer. Not just the one you get your bike from. So, if you wish to save your deposit (I WOULD!) buy the bike, tell em to have a nice day, and ride it home.

Call up another dealer and get the warranty and coverages you want from someone who is willing to break down the numbers you want.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy the bike without the extended warranty. Now that is my opinion but I trust myself. Use the bike and see what happens in the first 22 months. By then you'll know whether or not you'll need the extended coverage. My guess is you won't want it then. I've had two new harleys that have both been ridden over 25,000 miles without any warranty issues at all. Ask your insurance agent about gap coverage. Mine covered my $30,000 F-150 for $10 a year. Don't get the tire coverage. Get additional towing coverage from Triple A. Enjoy the ride. Just say no to the extras that the dealer makes too much money on. You're going to need the extra money for more chrome anyway.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

This is good advice. Tell the "finance guy" no, no, and hell no. Those are all crap add ons. If you want an extended warranty, wait and check in to it near the end of the factory warranty. Buying the extended warranty now has NOTHING to do with the factory warranty.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

I would wait foor the warrenty. But I have it. Used three times on tires already. That paid for the warrenty @ $300. each flat. They put on new tires every time. I won't use a patch.

Quick Reply: Help with Warranty Info