General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Warranty Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and find a good indy to do your scheduled service work if not doing them yourselves. Unless you like paying between $300 - $800 for an oil change and a few adjustments. I do my own oils. My indy is factory certified charges $50 for the 10k, my labor and lubes in the engine, trans and primary, he does everything else on the ck list.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Dan1127
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also wait for the chrome. They jack you on that at the time of purchase.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Pretty pricey tires Dan!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Price is little high on the items you mentioned. The factory 2 year warranty is everything except wear item like brake pads don't let him bull **** you the extended warranty won't cover wear items like brake pads either. as for the extended warranty in 2007 i bought my dyna superglide custom and i paid $900 bucks for 3 year extended warranty that takes my full warranty to 5years and they thru in the tire and wheel coverage for free. And i have used the tire and wheel twice so made back some of my money already out of the 900.

As for the comment about the extended warranty starts the day you purchase the bike thats total BS. The extended warranty takes up when the factory warranty ends that is why if you by 2yr extend or 3 year extend it gets you 4yrs or 5 yrs.

The extended has a $50 dollar deductable on it.

Tell them you want 3 year extended warranty and tire and wheel coverage for the price he is quoting you for just the two year coverage $1,300 or less if he says no then say i just want the bike then for msrp no ext, no tire wheel and no gap.

As for waitting to buy the extended warranty until just before the factory runs out from what i have seen it will cost you about double at that time if you want it its better to buy it up front.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Warranty does not start at the end of factory warranty. It starts the day you buy the bike. If you buy a 5 year warranty then it gives you 3 years extended past factory for a total of 5 years. Waste of money IMO. But if you do buy one, those prices are threw the roof high.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 AM
sassygirl1068
6th Gear

Thank you ALL for everything thus far. I will talk with my husband about it tomorrow. I guess my only other question is: regardless of WHEN the extended warranty begins, can it really MAKE your factory warranty better??? Here is an example of how the guy explained it: if you just have the fact. warranty and your bike throws a rod through the hood, the fact. warranty will cover the rod but the hole in the hood is considered consequential damage and will NOT fix that. BUT, if you have the extended warranty, then it will fix both the rod and the hood. This doesn't make sense to me??? Can anyone enlighten...

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Electra1
Cruiser

Take this for what it's worth, but I have had 2 HD's that were covered under the extended plan. Both had cam tensioners replaced when orange filings were found in my oil filter. Covered all repairs. Never had any issues with "normal wear and tear". I am right at this moment purchasing another extented service plan through HD on my 2005 FLHTCUI. For a 3 year plan it cost $1199.00. That's for 3 years. I would say you are paying to much for a 2 year plan. Hell if you purchase a plan and if all you do is replace the tensioners in 25 to 30k miles it would almost pay for it, but you have lots of other items that could need fixed over the 5 years span of the plan. oil pump, holes in the fuel line in the tank, tensioners, oil consumsion, electrical items, valve guides, and so on. All that I have mentioned has happened to me scoots and all have been covered. IF YOU PLAN ON PUTTING LOTS OF MILES ON THE CLOCK the extented plan is a good thing. If just bar hopping it is a waste of money.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM
TxEasyGlider
Cruiser

Shop EVERYTHING you just mentioned. There are plenty of dealers out there that need your business. Hell, to drive 100 miles to do a deal if it saved more than the gas it took to get there might be worth it if you get what you are wanting. Shop, Shop, Shop!! And your $500, Is refundable! Here in Tx, you have a 3 day right to change your mind on the deal. Buyers remorse, I think it is called.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

The thrown rod story sounds like fast talk to me. If the rod lets loose, it'll be covered under warranty along with any other subsequent damage. Ask your attorney. If the dealer can substantiate the rod threw due to misuse, neglect or abuse, nothing will be covered.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The normal factory warranty will cover just about anything that could happen except for normal service and tires and brakes. If the rod goes through the block and destroys the tank, it'll be covered. Just make sure your husband is riding alone when that happens. The extended warranty doesn't change the normal warranty, it only extends it. And the cost of the extended warranty will not be any different if you buy it today or after 22 months or so. The dealers love to sell them because they make money on them.

Quick Reply: Help with Warranty Info