General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding a good dyno-tuner in VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Had mine tuned at Skips and was disgusted with the results. As soon as I said "I have a Forcewinder, and 44 SE CV", that fish got cold... They had it for three hours, and wanted me to buy their AC for another 180 beans. I passed, but they still got my 295. When I got it home and dloaded the timing map.. they barley made any changes at all.. For all intense and purposes... it was the same map I came up with my own self (Daytona Tech ing. by the way). I left feeling like they got me. I think they would rather be on fire then tune the Forcewinder set up. I read up on tuning with a Forcewinder, and was able to get it way, way, better then that hose job I got at Skips.

Skip Skips.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else had any experience with Skip's in Winchester? I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and most HD dealers have a long wait list. I went ahead and made an appointment at Skip's, but just wanted to hear a little more feedback.

From everything I've read they are arguably one of the best in the Northern Virginia area.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by INADAZE
Anyone else had any experience with Skip's in Winchester? I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and most HD dealers have a long wait list. I went ahead and made an appointment at Skip's, but just wanted to hear a little more feedback.

From everything I've read they are arguably one of the best in the Northern Virginia area.
Send a PM to Dalton, he had his big engine done at Skips, came all the way from Ohio to have him tune it.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch13
The best place for a dyno here in VA is Skip's speed and custom in Winchester VA. The dude running the dyno helped design the heads for the Headquarters builds. The folks at Winchester Harley actually bring their problems to Skip's to fix.

http://www.skipscycles.com/
I wish they would have sent my 2010 SEUC to him. Their dyno tech couldnt tune it. Just changed the pipes to Rineharts couldnt get it right. Ended up putting a PCV on it.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigDaddyMike
Send a PM to Dalton, he had his big engine done at Skips, came all the way from Ohio to have him tune it.
Yep , Skip's has a very loyal following on another forum I'm on , people travel many miles to have them do engine's and tunes! Dalton having his done there should speak volumes about them alone!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

Awesome...

I'll actually be taking it up there tomorrow after work. I had to beg someone to follow me up there, roughly 70 miles from me. I hate not having a trailer for this exact reason.

Unfortunately, Waugh HD doesn't have a dyno so when I bought the bike with stage 1 they didn't do a good job choosing the right mapping.

I'm dying to see how much I'll get with a precise tune. Should know by next week!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you post back INADAZE.
I'm in the Hampton Roads area and I want to get mine tuned eventually.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
doitda
Intermediate

I just ordered an Arlen Ness inverted, V&H Big Radius 2-2, sepst, and some thunder baffles for my new 2014 Fat Boy.

I plan on putting these on, loading a base map for stage 1 from the SEPST software and doing some consistent smart tune runs.
I hope that gets me a very rideable, solid starting state.

Any recommendations on current Harley dyno tuners in the Northern VA area that are pros with the SEPST to take it to the next level?
I live in Sterling/Reston area.

Was thinking about bringing it to the Fairfax dealer to have them dyno it, but unsure yet.

Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by doitda
I just ordered an Arlen Ness inverted, V&H Big Radius 2-2, sepst, and some thunder baffles for my new 2014 Fat Boy.

I plan on putting these on, loading a base map for stage 1 from the SEPST software and doing some consistent smart tune runs.
I hope that gets me a very rideable, solid starting state.

Any recommendations on current Harley dyno tuners in the Northern VA area that are pros with the SEPST to take it to the next level?
I live in Sterling/Reston area.

Was thinking about bringing it to the Fairfax dealer to have them dyno it, but unsure yet

Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

look up Harleytuner here on the site, active tuner moved to Fredericksburg last year with an extremely solid rep. I have not brought my bike to him yet but he has a strong following from his previous area (Ohio perhaps?) but I do intend to. Folks both here and HTT speak highly of his work.
website below:
http://www.wideopencycles.net/home.html
Good luck!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
doitda
Intermediate

I'll check it out now. Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply: Finding a good dyno-tuner in VA