General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Perks [ Wad Ya Get}

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005 | 12:15 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Dealer Perks [ Wad Ya Get}

Kess
........P.S. - The hug would have been a lot better from a woman

They were probably feeling your wallet to see if there was any more in it.

Old 06-02-2005 | 12:23 AM
kel1200
Cruiser

I got a card good for one tshirt, 15% of parts 1 time purchase, 10% off motorclothes 1 time purchase, a free wash and wax, and free mounting a balancing of a tire that i purchase from them. with that being said i really feel that my salesman did not care. they had the bike in stock and i wanted the thunderheader and drag bar put on before i got it. He told me it would be two weeks max.. he never called so 2 weeks and three days later i called and he told me the parts were not in. two more weeks and the part finally came. I went there today and talked to a new parts guy and asked him how long it would take to order in thunderheader and he said he could have one on monday. I asked if he was sure and he was like oh yea, just ordered one on monday and got it wed. The salesman had to forget to order my parts and just blamed the parts department instead of himself.

thats my beef for tonight, shay

Old 06-02-2005 | 12:44 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

let's see - in Oct '04 - bought a '05 Wide Glide with a $2,200 chrome pacakge - for MSRP - got a mass market thank you card from dealer. Then, in March'05 (5 months later), I bought my 1200C Sporty with pipe upgrade - at MSRP. Got a massmarket thank you card from dealer. They wouldn't deal, they didn't throw in anything extra and didn't get nothing for free. You figure we dropped close to $34,000 just for the scoots and of course, we then needed all the gear (winter, wet and now spring/summer) from the feets to the top of the head.... so figure we have dropped close to $38,000.00 at the dealer. And guess what - we didn't get nothin free!

I am a very good negotiator especially when dealing with cars and houses. Have gotten great deals and freebies when purchased every vehicle we have owned. But the HD people here just look at you and say - well, there is a big demand......

and don't forget - this is the 'home' of the pricey service fees - $389 for a 1,000 mile Sporty service - $89.00 an hour for labor.

Old 06-02-2005 | 05:08 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior

MSRP, 2 free T-shirts ($83), free installation on parts, a calendar and w/ pic of me and my bike, free delivery of my bike, lots of time, a dealership where they call me by my name. Free hot dogs and soda every Thurs, nite. Not perfect, not the best, but pretty fair and it's all less than 3 miles from my house. Also no doc. or extra fees. Fees were as stated on Harley's home page.
The question I have now is if I were to buy again, would I buy new??? It seems like there are a lot of bikes out there with less than 8,000 miles on them and if the timing were right and the seller motivated...???
I doubt I would buy on EBay. Not because I don't trust the process, I've used it enough and on some fairly high end items that I don't fear it, but the days of bargins on EBay for popular brands seem to have come to an end. I dabble in guitars and often see used Martin guitars sell for above what I know I can pay for them new. CycleTrader and mainly Classified serches w/in a 500 mile radius seem to be the best way to go.
Would you all buy new or used next time?
Art
P.S. I'm really anxious to hear what Skip would say. He could buy a used one with lots of chrome goodies, take them off and sell them on EBay and finance the bike that way.

Old 06-02-2005 | 10:11 AM
mikesfxsti
Cruiser

I got MSRP, $1000 in free accessories, free 1st 1000 mile service check. Storage till i picked bike up (2 months) 2 t-shirts, a "custom made for" plaque, follow up calls and letters.

Old 06-02-2005 | 12:54 PM
chunks
Road Captain

An absurdly high price, and the sweetest 05 Fat Boy in the land.

They are charging me for every little thing. SE slip-ons, Security system, Labor. All of it.
No freebies.
I'm still gonna try and finagle a bit, but I'm not too hopeful.

Good thing that seat is so damn comfy, cuz my *** is gonna be kinda tender when we are done

Old 06-02-2005 | 06:49 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Good thing that seat is so damn comfy, cuz my *** is gonna be kinda tender when we are done
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Have to laugh at this one

Old 06-08-2005 | 02:31 AM
justjeff
Novice

Not to sound like an old timer, but when Bill Fenderson still owned Harley's Farthest North Outpost in Fairbanks, Alaska, he always gave me a $500 gift certificate to use for anything in the store, and that was buying at MSRP. He also gave me a $500 gift certificate for every buying customer I sent in to see him. I bought the first Ulta Classic (FLHTC) in Alaska back in 91, and he gave me a $1,000 gift certificate, plus a $400 leather jacket when I picked up that bike. Again, I paid MSRP for the bike. I suspect he was making decent money at MSRP, and the way he treated folks made them very loyal to him.

He was a solid, good man. Willie G. presented him with a decked out, customized softail with a gold nugget map of alaska on the air cleaner. It was very sad when he passed away and his son took the store over. Bill had received a special exemption from Harley to keep his store the way it was, woodstove on the showroom and all, instead of having to upgrade to the new corporate black and orange look. His son ended up moving the dealership, it lost it's charm, and he started charging over MSRP and delivering less service and attention. I think that some of the dealers that have acted like they don't care about their cutomers in these days of high demand, might be a bit sorry when/if it ever slows down and they're having to earn business the old fashioned way again.

Old 04-09-2009 | 04:05 PM
Nevar
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Bump and update

Not long ago I traded my 04 1200 C. sporty for a New 07 FXDWG. Price was about the same as the other dealers. [Suffolk county HD. Oakdale, NY]. This is my second new bike from the same stealer. And remember I sent in others who have used my name as a reco. and purchased New HDs. Never once did I get a phone call, or a friggin T shirt. NOTHING.
And to add insult to injury I used to get 8 to 10 % off on all parts and service.
Now with the new Glide I get $hit nothing at all. But the BS points. CRAP.
To date I have got nothing but a photo of my Glide. WOW woopy. A pic of my bike.
Remember before you reco your stealer, get something.
PS when I got the New glide I had about $1800 of HD parts I Wanted to purchase. Offered my dealer the same [ and I would pay sales tax] if they would meet the "Zanoties " [spelling] dealers price.
Got a long line of BS.
So I got a better deal on parts at that on line HD dealer.
Just saying

Old 04-09-2009 | 04:31 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Never bought a new one but bought a use one from the dealer. Got two Tshirts FREE!

Quick Reply: Dealer Perks [ Wad Ya Get}