General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy American & the Onshoring Trend

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see the Toyota response to the guy with the Prius? On one hand they say that the Prius has an electronic device to shut down the throttle when the brakes are applied and the next thing they say is this was driver error or an attempt to get rich! The guy said he will not sue, yet they are accusing him of fraud! And if the electronics are supposed to shut off the gas, then how did he toast the brakes? And why did a state trooper say he obviously had them on while he was going ninety?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me the cheap dollar is cited as the reason for some of the onshoring. As stated by the companies themselves. That cheap dollar has othe ramifications to our economy which are negative. It's a trade off, but at least we get some benefits of it. As to the Victory, Schumacher has, in the past, brought them up as a good American alternative to Harley. I have to agree. But as someone on a really tight budget right now, I most likely will not be helping the Motor Company or Victory, so am unable to put my money where my mouth is! As to the cheap Chinese products, yeah, most are tired of the inferior quality. But then, the subject goes to Toyota, which is Japenese. ??? Actually Japenese quality overall is quite good.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Red9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
Did you see the Toyota response to the guy with the Prius? On one hand they say that the Prius has an electronic device to shut down the throttle when the brakes are applied and the next thing they say is this was driver error or an attempt to get rich! The guy said he will not sue, yet they are accusing him of fraud! And if the electronics are supposed to shut off the gas, then how did he toast the brakes? And why did a state trooper say he obviously had them on while he was going ninety?
oh nevermind...lol

As Tom Petty sings, "you believe what you want to believe."

Last edited by Red9; 03-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

The trend actually started before the economy went South. When gas was around $4.00/gal companies were realizing that it was actually cheaper to built their products here than pay for the freight from China/India/Timbucktoo/etc.

One furniture manufacturer that they interviewed in the article was having his production moved from China to North Carolina.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is about time we get back to the roots of the American work force . It really use to mean something MADE IN THE USA We need to get back to that way of thinking again . I am all for it being a union construction worker for 29 years .