General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help if you can

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help if you can

I need to know something but for some reason no one seems able or willing to answer me. First off let me tell you what I am working with.
I have a 2005 XL883c (Totally Stock, no upgrades at all, not even slip ons at this point.) that I intend to have the 1200 conversion done to. What I want to know is this.

1.) "Will the 1200 conversion change the top speed of the bike or not?" (Note: I do not need or want a speedy speedy bike per se I am just wondering.)
2.) "I currently ride the freeway on occassion, but because I dont have a Tach and I am not a mechanic I could not tell you what RPM's I am running the bike at. I would therefore like to know, if I do the 1200 conversion will freeway speeds be easier on my bike or not?"

Thank you for any responses I get. I asked the same question at another board but I guess it was filled with mechanics who love to take their bikes to the track or something, because they kept directing me to the 1250 kit that NHRS makes, and kept telling me about ignition modules, heads, and Cams and all kinds of things I know Nothing about, strangely no one could gimmie a straight answer to the above questions. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Please Help if you can

You're top speed will change but even as an 883 you should get into the 100's.

The rpm's will be the same, so your feeling of the motor revving high will still be there. That's controlled by gearing.
You will be quicker to freeway speeds, especially 2-up.

You can cruise all day long at 70+ on your 883, so I'm not quite sure what you are asking...

Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Double-post.
Sorry.[:@]

Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

You're top speed will change but even as an 883 you should get into the 100's.

The rpm's will be the same, so your feeling of the motor revving high will still be there. That's controlled by gearing.
You will be quicker to freeway speeds, especially 2-up.

You can cruise all day long at 70+ on your 883, so I'm not quite sure what you are asking...

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info.
So making sure I understand.
1.)The bike will indeed have a higher top speed. (Can you gimmie an guesstimate on how much it will change?)

2.)I will still feel like the bike is revving high, but I should not worry about it correct?

3.) I should not worry about the feeling of it reeving high at freeway speeds correct?

Thanks again

Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Top speed is a factor of many things, your weight, incline, wind, air temp, etc...

I couldn't even speculate how much, but you are adding roughly 25% more displacement. This is not a high revving motor, so horepower is not its game, torque is.
You will feel a big improvement, and from what I hear actually be faster than a factory 1200 due to the better gearing on the 883.

Dont worry about the feeling of revving high. Its how they feel.
I saw a gear change you can put in the transmission I believe that will give you a better 5th gear. It was mentioned on the site, but I'm having trouble with search right now. I'm sure someone can remember what its called.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced

Man thanks alot you are a saint! thanks for the info.

[sm=hail.gif][sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 08-01-2006, 01:19 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

Ok lets see
You asked
#1# Will the 1200 conversion change the top speed of the bike or not Yes

#2# if I do the 1200 conversion will freeway speeds be easier on my bike or not?" I say YES

Just MY Opinion
the reason people tell you to do this and that is ....... your motor has more Potential than what you got it from the Factory and they are trying to prompt you into Opening it up to the best for your $$

Old 08-01-2006, 02:04 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i did the conversion to a 1200 and the increase in power and torque was awesome. i also changed the front drive pully from 27 tooth to a 30 tooth, and at 75 it dropped the rpm about 350-400 rpm. took it out of the vibration range and made it a very nice cruiser.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced

Thanks guys that has been waaaay helpful.
I just want to let everyone know I am not tring to whine about he other boards info or the posters there, I was just getting grumpy because I am not tring to make the bike a hot rod or anything, but everything they were telling me was involving doing just that. I am not sure if Its a lack of clarity in my posts or whatever but I just wanted to know if the conversion will do what I want it to do for it to do with the minimum amount of cash as possible. I mean after all I am a Janitor with a wife and 4 year old not a oil tycoon. LOL