General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my FLHTC yesterday (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
New Harley Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you are ok and have no major problems from the accident. Better to have the bike messed up than you, easier to replace parts on a bike.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. You're okay and around to let everyone know.
2. You thought everything over and realized where things went bad.
3. Bike can be repaired.
4. See #1.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My first question is whether you used your front brake at all. If you're going straight, there's not that great a chance of going down from briefly locking the front. I've locked up my front tire twice that I can remember while making a hard stop and haven't gone down. It seems from your post that you wouldn't have been going so fast that you couldn't have done at least some braking with the front. Assuming that your front tire has enough tread to channel the water on the road.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
My first question is whether you used your front brake at all. If you're going straight, there's not that great a chance of going down from briefly locking the front.
Excellent observation MP. Yes, I had the front brake applied, and the rear as well. I remember thinking, OK, I can grab more front brake and see what happens, or I start thinking about an exit. That's when I made the call to go to the left.

I've been mulling over a couple things over the last few days. FLHT's a way front heavy, that's why I think the rear brakes loose so easy. I've got to figure out and get comfortable with making panic stops using 100% front brake, and no if only a little rear brake.

Part of the problem too was, I decided to swerve while I was still braking. Shoot, any hangaround knows ya turn, or you brake, not both at the same time.

So, when the bike gets back from gettin' a pudry again, I'm heading for the Park-n-Ride lot to do some serious front brake stops. I'm going to rehearse over and over again what happened. Combine that with a little less speed, and a little more following distance, and a bunch more attention, maybe I can make it another 25 years before my next crash.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your okay .... sounds like no fun at all.
You have my respect for posting the whole story, and the fact it was your fault. I think sometimes people gloss over the truth when it comes to who's fault it was ....
Some lessons are just harder to learn than others. My guess is you won't make that mistake again. Take care and be safe !

Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your bike is front-heavy, but I remember how easily my first bike, a really light Honda CB350, would lose traction when I would brake using too much rear brake. I had my rear tire trying to lead the way a few times before I finally started relying a lot more on the front brake.
But let's face it; sometimes you just can't think or react fast enough to avoid a bad outcome. You were good enough to avoid something worse, and smart enough to learn from it.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

I NEVER wish bad things to happen to anyone, not even people I don't particularly like. But it is interesting to read stories like yours in order to reflect on how I go about my day.

Shows you can never let your guard down. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was riding in the rain yesterday think about your crash and how not to do the same things. I was letting car have lots of room. That's not like me to do that.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I was riding in the rain yesterday think about your crash and how not to do the same things. I was letting car have lots of room. That's not like me to do that.
Glad I could be of service (I guess )

That's a big part of the reason why I posted, and with the detail that I did. If one person besides me, learns from this experience, then it is probably worth it.

I would post a pic of the bruises on my back, but I think I made my point. (haha)

Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I would say that you were protected by the wings of an angel.
I also am one that is blessed to be verticle and above the green. Hey I just heard this today. It sounds appropriate. "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." Albert Einstein, 1930

The above statement I interpreted as simply Don't sit still, keep moving. I will be looking for your next posts telling all of us that you are back in the saddle again.

Take Care and live each day.

Attached Thumbnails Crashed my FLHTC yesterday (long)-mvc-054s.jpg   Crashed my FLHTC yesterday (long)-visitedstatesmap.jpg  

Quick Reply: Crashed my FLHTC yesterday (long)