General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy one today? Or wait? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
jasony0423
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy one today? Or wait? Help!

Ok, if you've not been keeping up with my situation.. I've been saving for a Harley, figuring $5,000... I'm almost there, just waiting on my tax return, and I will have about that amount. So I've been looking around, and I've found two that I really like. One of them is an '06 Sportster. It's got 3,100 miles, and is blue and silver. Very clean, with only a Mustang seat and an aftermarket gas cap. Otherwise stock. It's $5,999 so a little over my budgeted amount, but I figure I can negotiate.
The other one that I just got a call on is an '02 with 8,000 miles. Same color, and it's completely stock. That one is $3,995 which the dealer says is the best price he can do on it. I can write a check for that one today.
So is an '02 still alright? should I buy that one, even though its older with more miles. I know that's still nothing for a bike, I just don't want to feel like I'm settling.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Go look at them both and buy the one you like the most. It is that simple. Niether of these bikes have enough miles on them to worry about. If all else is the same buy the one you can pay cash for. On a side note good for you for wanting to pay cash, I have never finaced a bike and never will.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

If you like the 02, I'd buy it. The mileage difference is minimal, but $2K difference in price is huge, plus you have $$$ for upgrades to make it your own.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I would say is my understanding between the two is the newer one has a rubber mounted engine and the older one does not (I am assuming you are talking about both sportsters). So keep that in mind. I think that started in 05. You don't get fuel injection until 07. Also different sportsters have different configurations so it isnt as simple as what year. Like my "custom" has a bigger gas tank and forward controls which mattered to me.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the Sportster mechanics to help you, aside from that.
miles - no diff
look and thrill factor - your call

If not much difference mechanically, I would definitely go the 02. Write the dealer a $3500.00 check and see if he won't budge a litte. Tell him you will spend the balance on "goodies." Good luck and enjoy whichever way you go!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

firstly sit on them both, if you can take each of them or a quick test ride * even if its jus taround a parking lot. then decided between the 2 which one you can see yourself sitting on come the end of riding season.

i gotta ask this though are you sure a sportster is what you want to start out on? nothing against sportys cause i own one myself but for a first bike you wanna make sure its best if i had the chance to go back i would have bought a dyna as a first bike just cause i feel like a monkey humpin a footbal on my sporty, and i have way to much invested in it to try and sell it LOL with the $5000 you got know you can put that as a decent down payment on a newer dyna if that feels better to you. just sayin

if you liek the look and feel of the sporty jump on it askin us on here is moot because we all have differnt tastes and opinions on what WE like, ultimatly its about what YOU want to ride, whatever you do DO NOT buy a bike your unsure about wether you will like it or not, nothign worse then putting out $x or a bike you will ride once or twice and hate and then lose $X when you try to sell it to get the one you really wanted.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
jasony0423
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lizdc
One thing I would say is my understanding between the two is the newer one has a rubber mounted engine and the older one does not (I am assuming you are talking about both sportsters). So keep that in mind. I think that started in 05. You don't get fuel injection until 07. Also different sportsters have different configurations so it isnt as simple as what year. Like my "custom" has a bigger gas tank and forward controls which mattered to me.
Thanks. I know the rubber mounte engine thing is different, but I figure that's a relatively new thing, and they've been making Harleys a lot longer without rubber mounted engines than with, so it's got to be an acceptable thing. I thought rubber mounting started in '04 though. I dunno. The dealership has newer ones, too, so I may just check them both out and see.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
jasony0423
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
i gotta ask this though are you sure a sportster is what you want to start out on? nothing against sportys cause i own one myself but for a first bike you wanna make sure its best if i had the chance to go back i would have bought a dyna as a first bike just cause i feel like a monkey humpin a footbal on my sporty, and i have way to much invested in it to try and sell it LOL with the $5000 you got know you can put that as a decent down payment on a newer dyna if that feels better to you. just sayin
A sportster probably isn't the bike I want to have forever, but for a couple of years, yes, it will work very well for me, I think. It's true that I could put $5k down on a newer Dyna, and I did consider that, or just saving another year, but I have been saving for 4 years toward this, a little here, and a little there. I don't want a loan. I don't like them, and to me, it's worth it to get something that's not quite as much pure awesome, to know that it's all mine. Just my thought. I feel a little more comfortable on a Sporty, in all honesty, though. I'm not a small guy, but I've sat on both, and the riding position is just more comfortable on the sporty.
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the price is a little high on the 06 sporty. iam just north of you and work in the sunbury area which dealer you looking at. Get the one you like the most and have you looked at craigslist in our area usually alot of sportys on there.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the 02 is a solid mounted engine. more vibrations. Gotta ride it and see if it will work for you.

Quick Reply: Buy one today? Or wait? Help!