General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another One! Woman in accident near Duncan dies of injuries

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
And I ain't goin' for the ol' "It may help others" crapola. It won't. This **** happens. Don't need it constantly in our face.
In Illinois, there is no negligent vehicular homicide law. As a result, someone who kills a biker is most likely going to get a traffic ticket, pay a small fine & walk away. These "morbid" stories of bikers getting killed are what seems to best motivate people to take positive actions. They might do something as simple as spend $20 on a t-shirt, which helps support the cause, or they might write a letter or make a phone call to their political representatives... at best, perhaps some who would otherwise do nothing become motivated to do something.

Awareness campaigns may save a few lives. Pushing to get laws changed may save some lives, or, at least provide proper consequences when someone is killed.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny,.... (and works well in most cases).

But you still see the Gawd awful "Biker Down",.... "Prayers Needed" crapola.

Having a separate section "sounds" like a cure, but what morbid souls would search it out?????

I had a non riding coworker once that had this thing about telling me about every MC death he ever hears about. Just cuz I ride I must be interested in that? Wrong.

And I ain't goin' for the ol' "It may help others" crapola. It won't. This **** happens. Don't need it constantly in our face.

I hope that you are not in the airline industry with that attitude. Just think if they operated that way, "S**t Happens" airplanes crash, get over it? I'm glad that they analyze crashes to see what can be done differently to prevent them in the future.
The only problem that I have with the reporting of m/c crashes is that they don't give you enough info. Stuff like, what type of bike, it's condition, age of rider, how much experience & training, speed, weather conditions, alcohol involved, protective gear worn, helmet - none 1/2 3/4 or full. What type of injuries were sustained? Who was at fault?
There are lots of things that can be learned from these tragedies if you take your head out of the sand and study all of the info.
Of course, to some people, ignorance is bliss.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
[/b]

I hope that you are not in the airline industry with that attitude. Just think if they operated that way, "S**t Happens" airplanes crash, get over it? I'm glad that they analyze crashes to see what can be done differently to prevent them in the future.
The only problem that I have with the reporting of m/c crashes is that they don't give you enough info. Stuff like, what type of bike, it's condition, age of rider, how much experience & training, speed, weather conditions, alcohol involved, protective gear worn, helmet - none 1/2 3/4 or full. What type of injuries were sustained? Who was at fault?
There are lots of things that can be learned from these tragedies if you take your head out of the sand and study all of the info.
Of course, to some people, ignorance is bliss.

Do frequent flyers want to constantly hear about plane crashes? Will that make them relax more on the next flight?

Why would bikers be any different?

(Nobody said anything like "**** Happens - get over it" - no one said that).

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-14-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
dumernarock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do frequent flyers want to constantly hear about plane crashes? Will that make them relax more on the next flight?

Why would bikers be any different?

(Nobody said anything like "**** Happens - get over it" - no one said that)..
Let me ask you a question.

If you are hurt or die tomorrow do you want us to know about it?

Call it old school, morbid, romanticism what ever, I consider all bikers extended family.

I dont like hearing about it either but I dont want to ignore it.

If you get hurt I want to know! I want to be able to say dam it! I ddint know him but he seemed like a good guy and Ill miss him.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
bamagreg
Advanced
Default Death is a reality....

Originally Posted by Maimas
Shouldnt be a thread... Its morbid to post this stuff...

Hiding one's head in the sand isn't going to change it.

Maybe the OP is just trying to remind us we need to be constantly aware of people not seeing scoot riders.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

It may not make me relax on my next flight. However, you can bet if a certain airline had a significantly larger number accidents then another. I would be looking to find a different airline to get to my destination. So this is probably not a good comparrison to make.

As for the posting of these types deaths notices. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Some I read and some I don't. It all depends on if it peaks my interest. That means is it near my location, did I know them or maybe I just feel like reading it that night.

It must be a slow week if this is all we have to bitch about on here. I'm glad it's going to be warm enough and dry enough to ride this week.

Jim

Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

near my location, did I know them
Good reasons to open a thread.

I guess I was too busy correlating it with that guy at work that used to constantly have these death stories for me. He assumed I'd be interested just cuz I ride.
Sucked hearing the stories, every time.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Faast Ed,
I hope you didn't think the last two paragraphs of my previous post were directed at you. Because they were not. They were just a general comment on the topic at hand. There must be some sort of morbid fasination about accidents in general. I also have people at work that feel the need to tell me about bike accidents also.

Jim

Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Wasn't any offense taken.

Both sides of this fence have real good points.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bamagreg
Hiding one's head in the sand isn't going to change it.

Maybe the OP is just trying to remind us we need to be constantly aware of people not seeing scoot riders.

Have a nice day.
Who's head is in the sand? Mine sure isnt, if I were, I wouldnt be posting here... I see enough of this in my own community. It happens everywhere, so another post about someone dying isnt going to drastically raise awareness.

There is a place and time for everything. If someone on this forum knew the poor woman, then it would have been one thing to say "Today I lost a dear friend", but this post was just put up to make us aware that someone was killed riding a motorcycle. What purpose did it serve?

Did it make any of you a better rider? Did any of you reach out to the womans family? Do any of you even know her?

All this post did is remind us that riding a bike can be dangerous... Nothing more, nothing less.

Some of you say I'm callaus, but I enjoy living my life and dont care for daily reminders of my own end.

Quick Reply: Another One! Woman in accident near Duncan dies of injuries