General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
New Harley Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley

Hello All, First time post. I just purchase my first Harley 2010 Fat Boy and picked it up Friday March 5th. Bought this bike when returning from Iraq. I have had the bike in the shop to get an oil leak fixed with under 50 miles. Just got the bike back yesterday and the dealer said they fixed it. When I went out to the garage this morning the bike is marking it spot again this time with less than 150 miles.
My question is does this happen often with new bikes? At this rate I am glad I purchased the extended warranty, just annoyed that they 5 year extended warranty runs the same time as the factory warranty, if I knew that I would have bought the extended warranty when my factory warranty ran out.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,495 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Congrats on the new FB - oil leak at 50 miles, wow. I would say thats pretty unusual Welcome from Michigan

Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
New Harley Rider
Intermediate

Thanks,
Well I guess I just got some bad parts. Hopefully they can fix it this time and fix it right.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
robertj74
Tourer

what did they fix? I'm guessing the threads on the oil switch were leaking?
your bike shoul'nt leak anything, esp. a new one,they need to make that right,
Your factory warranty should be only 2 years,with your 5 year extended added to that for a total of 7 years,I beleive.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new bike!

I have a friend that bought a brand new EG a few years back. Immediately had several different oil leaks....it was under warranty....and the dealer successfully fixed every one of them....the bike now has about 80K on it, and nary a problem. They'll get it right! They want you happy and waltzing back in that door buying lots of chrome doodads and accessories.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
New Harley Rider
Intermediate

I have the paperwork at home, but the mechanic told me there is a plastic elbow the is attached to the rubber tubbing coming from the oil pan that was leaking so that is what they fixed. Not sure if that is where the new leak is coming from but will be taking it back to the dealer this afternoon when I get out of work.
That is what I was thinking that the extended warranty starts after the factory warranty, but talking to the Harley Dealer and to the military overseas sales people the first two years run together. So I spent $999.00 for only a 3 year extended warranty instead of the 5 I was told. Just want people to know when they get the extended warranty that they run together until the factory runs out.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
New Harley Rider
Intermediate

Thanks all,
I trust the dealer because they have had great reviews here in Sierra Vista, Az just extremely annoying that the bike has been in the shop more days than I have had it and can not ride it right now.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for your service.

congrats on the new ride and welcome.

doesn't sound right that a new bike should leak. I'd trust the dealer makes it right.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
robertj74
Tourer

I'm pretty sure thats not right about the warranty. you better do some checking.

Quick Reply: First Harley