General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Bad Daddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ACC here... I like it alright, but it sure would be nice if they could figure out how to make a better chin strap, and buckle system.

I had an HD helmet and the two buckles are different sizes, and make tightening the helmet a breeze. Also makes removing it easy too, with the strap on the buckle.

I also liked the HD helmet for the snap on the end of the strap, to keep it from whipping around your face.

The strap material on the ACC is pretty coarse. I bought one of the quick releases, and now I have to carefully cut off the crappy buckles.

Just a few cents more in materials, and the helmet would be soooo much better.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a ACC and love it , best 1/2 helmet I have owned and I wont give it uo. But in case your not aware ACC no longer makes motorcycle helmets and has a recall of all DOT Helmets because of test result problems they failed the DOT and have to recall all of their helmets.

If you have one and want the refund call them and they will send you a shipping label and on receipt issue a full refund of the original price

Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
tell them you'll see them in court and i'd bet they drop the ticket. get a case into court and win for lack of required list of DOT helmets and it will set a precident that they won't want to see.
Just as a matter of personal preference I wear a full face as does the wife. It's all a matter of choice.

With respect to dropping the ticket. Don't hold your breath. Most LEO's that go to court are on overtime and paid at minimum amount of hours for court. IE: 4 hours regardless of actual time spent in court.

The defendant on the other hand loses money whether or not they win the case. You take time off from work, spend money on gas, maybe parking. So most times even if you win your case that $55 helmet you wear just went up in price to the amount of money you lost in expenses going to court. Just a thought.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Bigcim
Advanced

OK does anyone have or know of a DOT German helmet that doesn't make you look like your auditioning for space *****?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
RoadShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shredsurf
LOVE the BOLT site, those guy's are GREAT!

Outstanding points Roadshark!!!
The bolt guys are LEGIT, good info with a taste of comon sense if reading the laws. Plus if you do some digging those guys are out there pushing buttons so they can fight the good fight for all of us.

Want more good stuff look up your regional confederation of clubs web site..........more good info for all riders, not just club members.
http://www.aimncom.com/coc/coc.htm

M

Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i bought a DOT german helmet off e bay,looked good in the add,when i got it,it looked ridiculous,sat way to high!never wore it

Old 04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had quite a few half helmets and the Bell Shorty is my favorite. Very aero, and doesn't give you the mushroom head.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

ACC are no longer making helmets novelty or DOT......have to find another brand.

I want to get a hold of my local ABATE or BCCOM I guess and the BC Human Rights Tribunal about these helmet laws we have here in BC. Everyone is required to wear one regardless of insurance or health coverage. Everyone that is, except Sikhs.

They fought and won their battle against the manditory helmet laws due to their religious beliefs. They no longer have to wear one when they ride.

I find, however, that the law is descriminating against me because of my religion. I'm in the proccess of collecting excerpts from the bible that reference our belief in God and that we shall put our trust in him...etc etc. I feel if I wear a helmet then how can I say that I trust him or believe that he will look after me?

This isn't a racist thing...it's purely a discrimination thing based on ones personal religious beliefs. I think the laws ought to reflect our multicultural society and MUST be the same for everyone.

That's why I'm trying to get the helmet laws here changed.....it should be a CHOICE of the individual rider.

If the choice was mine...I'd still wear one....but at least I would have the CHOICE and I wouldn't be discriminated against because I'm not part of the Sikh faith.

Is there anyone out there with a suggestion as to where I might find some assistance or even might have handy some ammo I can use when I contact the HRT?

or am I just trying to **** a dead horse and I'd have better luck parting the Red Sea?

Last edited by DinoVelvet; 04-09-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the Bell Shorty been wearing Bell helmets for years, wear a Mag 8 when its cold or raining.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
ACC are no longer making helmets novelty or DOT......have to find another brand.

I want to get a hold of my local ABATE or BCCOM I guess and the BC Human Rights Tribunal about these helmet laws we have here in BC. Everyone is required to wear one regardless of insurance or health coverage. Everyone that is, except Sikhs.

They fought and won their battle against the manditory helmet laws due to their religious beliefs. They no longer have to wear one when they ride.

I find, however, that the law is descriminating against me because of my religion. I'm in the proccess of collecting excerpts from the bible that reference our belief in God and that we shall put our trust in him...etc etc. I feel if I wear a helmet then how can I say that I trust him or believe that he will look after me?

This isn't a racist thing...it's purely a discrimination thing based on ones personal religious beliefs. I think the laws ought to reflect our multicultural society and MUST be the same for everyone.

That's why I'm trying to get the helmet laws here changed.....it should be a CHOICE of the individual rider.

If the choice was mine...I'd still wear one....but at least I would have the CHOICE and I wouldn't be discriminated against because I'm not part of the Sikh faith.

Is there anyone out there with a suggestion as to where I might find some assistance or even might have handy some ammo I can use when I contact the HRT?

or am I just trying to **** a dead horse and I'd have better luck parting the Red Sea?
Not a lawyer and not in Canada, but damn, seems to me if Sikhs cant follow the law because of religion, that would ELIMINATE them from riding a bike!!!!

Quick Reply: DOT helmets