General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilSport
There's something about those DOT half helmets claiming to be the smallest lightest ...

years ago it was NEXL-NXT, and now ACC.
its the holy grail - beat the law of physics with a DOT approved half helmet less than an 1" thick and you'll be a rich man

Old 04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov
ACC / Head-Trip are "on hold" for DOT helmet orders... meaning if you want a DOT helmet go find another vendor
They might be on 'hold' a lot longer than you think. I'm surprised no one has posted their recall yet...
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/recall.html

If you don't believe the link, go to the site and scroll to the bottom and click on Motorcycle Helmet Recall

ADVANCED CARBON COMPOSITES EXT MOTORCYCLE HELMETS

This notice is provided to all purchasers or owners of Advanced Carbon Composites EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 models of motorcycle helmets, regardless of size and regardless of date acquired, in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

REASON FOR THE RECALL

In a March 26, 2010 Settlement Agreement and Consent Order between Advanced Carbon Composites and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Advanced Carbon Composites agreed that all models and sizes of its EXT-001, EXT-002 and EXT-003 Half Shell Motorcycle Helmets, regardless of date manufactured, fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218, 49 C.F.R. § 571.218. FMVSS No. 218 establishes minimum performance requirements for helmets designed for highway use. Among other things, the standard requires that motorcycle helmets meet the minimum performance requirements of penetration tests and impact attenuation tests, as well as labeling requirements. Advanced Carbon Composites’ helmets do not comply with FMVSS No. 218 in the areas of impact attenuation, penetration and/or labeling. In the event of a crash, the wearer is not adequately protected, and could suffer severe injuries or even death.

As a part of its Settlement Agreement and Consent Order with NHTSA, Advanced Carbon Composites has agreed to implement a remedy program by which Advanced Carbon Composites is providing notice to, and obtaining helmets from, owners and purchasers, and Advanced Carbon Composites will refund an owner or purchaser for the purchase price of the helmet. The remedy is limited to refunds to owners or purchasers, and under no circumstances will Advanced Carbon Composites attempt to repair or replace the recalled helmets.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

After you contact us and we record your information, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a prepaid shipping label for your helmet. Upon its receipt of the helmet and documentation regarding the price you paid for the helmet, Advanced Carbon Composite will send you a check in the full amount of the purchase price, which you should receive within 7-10 business days. This includes all EXT-001 or EXT 002 helmets that were previously repaired by Advanced Carbon Composites in previous recalls.

Please call Advanced Carbon Composites at 1-800-300-9813, or contact us by mail at Advanced Carbon Composites, 6127 Anno Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32809, to begin the refund process.

If you believe we have failed to issue a refund to you within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20590
Toll Free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236
TTY 1-800--9153 or go to www.safercar.com

Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

ACC won't be making DOT or Novelty motorcycle helmets anymore. They agreed not to in the settlement.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
They might be on 'hold' a lot longer than you think. I'm surprised no one has posted their recall yet...

If you don't believe the link, go to the site and scroll to the bottom and click on Motorcycle Helmet Recall

thanks...looks like that American based business is going to be out of business soon

I wonder if it was the penetration test that failed? that one seems pretty arbitrary - if a spike of lenght XX" cant penetrate a DOT helmet, what happens when a bigger when is encountered?

shame too, ACC gets great reviews for customer service etc - hope they make it through the recall and figure something else out.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Boris Badenov
looks like that American based business is going to be out of business soon - hope they make it through the recall and figure something else out.
I agree. But if they have to kick back the purchase price - it'll be easier to close the doors.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
RoadShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st everyone read this http://www.boltofca.com/

CA helmet tickets given as anything other than a fix it ticket CA can be beaten to a pulp and the CHP knows this.

2nd since the DOT does not certify helmets or have a list of approved helmets since they dont even do such a thing as long as you had ANY helmet on your head you should be able to win.

I say those ticket happy LEO's who hassle bikers yet watch hundread of little kids ride around on bicycles w/o helmets and do NOTHING are so wrong its sad. Its the same law is it not? Except that I'm an adult capable of understanding the risks and they are not.

Anyway after all that I wear a full face 90% of the time I just hate shitty laws and the people who think they can interpret them anyway they want and this is one of those laws.

Another fun tip:NExt time you get pulled over pull out your cell phone and use the recorder to tape the stop, Its absolutly your right and you better bet your *** they dont want you to do it but they will have that camera in the car on you so fair is fair.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Neal Smith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tryed to order an ACC hemet today and they are not taking orders and do not know if they will be taking anymore orders it did not sound good.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Great price for HCI helmets.....Dot 100's shipped for 34-39.95. German 115 dots for 29.95, Polo 105's for 34.95. They ship in 1-2 days of ordering.

http://www.motorcycle-helmets.com/Half-Helmets-s/5.htm

Last edited by golfblues; 04-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by RoadShark
1st everyone read this http://www.boltofca.com/

CA helmet tickets given as anything other than a fix it ticket CA can be beaten to a pulp and the CHP knows this.

2nd since the DOT does not certify helmets or have a list of approved helmets since they dont even do such a thing as long as you had ANY helmet on your head you should be able to win.

I say those ticket happy LEO's who hassle bikers yet watch hundread of little kids ride around on bicycles w/o helmets and do NOTHING are so wrong its sad. Its the same law is it not? Except that I'm an adult capable of understanding the risks and they are not.

Anyway after all that I wear a full face 90% of the time I just hate shitty laws and the people who think they can interpret them anyway they want and this is one of those laws.

Another fun tip:NExt time you get pulled over pull out your cell phone and use the recorder to tape the stop, Its absolutly your right and you better bet your *** they dont want you to do it but they will have that camera in the car on you so fair is fair.
LOVE the BOLT site, those guy's are GREAT!

Outstanding points Roadshark!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by Baeseman1

All I know is this...

I took these sticker's out of my buddie's alledgedly "DOT" approved ACC helmet BEFORE he sent it back.
They are now neatly placed inside my 2 non DOT approved ACC helmets!

I wear a helmet under protest!

Attached Thumbnails DOT helmets-img00645.jpg   DOT helmets-img00646.jpg  

Quick Reply: DOT helmets