General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Vega XTS Naked half helmet cheap too. ACC's are legally questionable in NC as they don't have 1 inch of foam.

http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts_naked.html

Last edited by acchd; 03-12-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACC is DOT certified, don't give a rats *** what NC thinks. Until NC comes up with its own cert, DOT is the required standard. DOT certification has nothing to do with thickness, it actually has to do with penetration of an object.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Spur56
ACC is DOT certified, don't give a rats *** what NC thinks. Until NC comes up with its own cert, DOT is the required standard. DOT certification has nothing to do with thickness, it actually has to do with penetration of an object.
Good for you

Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myneid
Daytona helmets has DOT german helmets
http://www.daytonahelmets.com/
They have a german one, ACC doesn't.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered a Head Trip. They don't make a DOT German style helmet. I ordered their cap style. It doesn't fit the shape of my head, guess my head is too tall. It slid back on me.

I picked up a HCI (Helmet City Inc.) helmet from Livermore HD. It is by far the smallest DOT helmet I've ever seen (other than HT) and only cost $60. It's a polo style, but supposedly also available in cap-style.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, I don’t mean for this to be a post about whether we should or shouldn’t wear helmets. It’s a post about how to appease the lawmakers and their stupid laws. I’m betting that most LEO’s don’t really give a rats *** whether we wear a DOT helmet or not and that they musch would rather be out protecting people and fighting crime.
But…………………..I know a guy who knows a guy who hates ANYONE telling him that he has to wear a helmet. So anyway…….this guy I know wears an XL size helmet, but the DOT helmets, even the ACC DOT, all look totally mushroom stupid and we all know it. Remember that the stupid look is because there is a full 1.5 tot 2 inches or more of dense Styrofoam between the helmet and liner. So anyway, this guy I know goes down to Renegade Classics and buys an HCI Official DOT Half helmet in a size medium for $55.00 and it is much too small to wear. Then he goes home and places the helmet upside down on a pillow in the garage so as not to scratch it up. Then he takes the round “barrel” end of an aluminum baseball bat and places it into the inside of the helmet. He then hits the handle end of the bat with a single jack sledge and it compresses that section of the 2 inch thick Styrofoam to about 1/3 of an inch instead of 1.5 inches. Then I, I mean, this guy, repeats this procedure very carefully all around the entire interior of the helmet until he has a very nicely fitting helmet that has about 1/3 to ½ inch of now very compressed Styrofoam, no more mushroom head look and a nice looking DOT helmet, although altered. Anyway. this works for me and is my choice. I guess if some helmet **** Leo wants to get out his micrometer and proof of certification as a helmet expert then I’ll just have to eat the ticket.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
See Oh
Novice

Originally Posted by Clint55
I guess if some helmet **** Leo wants to get out his micrometer and proof of certification as a helmet expert then I’ll just have to eat the ticket.
Yeah that. ↑

Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

I've been thinking about getting an Outlaw brand from Leatherup.com.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/German-He...met/93080.html

Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Do any of you guys have pics of your helmets on?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a german DOT helmet off ebay. It was OK, but it still had the mushrom look. I finally switched to a novelty German helmet. So far I've not had any LEO problems. But, I live in Kentucky, we don't do helmet laws here! I only wear it when I travel out of state. If I get a ticket out of state I'll pay the fine and keep riding.

Quick Reply: DOT helmets