General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up memorial run/Relay for life fundraiser run in my dads memory CLUELESS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:34 AM
lastson
|
Tourer
Default Setting up memorial run/Relay for life fundraiser run in my dads memory CLUELESS

Background. My father battled cancer for the last 2 years and passed away July 17th 2009. We had it beat and then it came back with a vengeance and from the aggresive chemo his small intestine burst and surgery after surgery couldn't fix it. Had to watch the strongest toughest man I have ever known waste away in front of my eyes.

I'm doing the American Cancer Society Relay for life 3rd year in a row and this time I can participate more due to not having to be back and forth to TN for surgeries/treatments. I have no experience or a clue where to begin in scheduleing setting up, something like a benefit/memorial run. Wont be to far. I mean i am in Delaware not alot of room to ride lol. But i wanna do something for my pops ya know and raise money for my team. If any of you have done something similar please let me know and any pointers would be much much friggin welcome. Thanks guys/gals.

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:59 AM
lastson
|
Tourer

Anyone?

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:47 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master

I would suggest going down to a local Dealership and talk with them. They have experience in setting up an event and I would think they would want to be part of a good cause like this.

My experience of setting up an event is that it is easier and better if you have an organization of some type behind you.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:53 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

if you're doing it for ACS you can contact their fundraising arm and see what assistance they can provide - or as above, if you're keeping it local the dealership or HOG may be able to assist you better than the national organization.

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:02 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not expert, but I have been involved in a couple of these for Helping Hands. Don’t try to do this yourself. See if you can get a few friends to help you out. You’ll need someone to map out the rout. You should let the towns, along your rout; know that your planning on coming passing threw. If you’re going to stop anywhere or at any business you should ask permission first. Most don’t mind the extra $$$$, but I know of one or two around here that don’t want a pack of bikes showing up in their parking lot.

The next thing is where are you going to end the run? Will you have food and entertainment? See if you can get someone to donate the food and drinks. You’re raising money for charity so you might want to think about holding raffles. It’s a good way to increase your contribution and it gives other a chance to win something. Visit your local businesses and ask for contribution. Donations are the key. The American Cancer Society should be able to help you if you have any questions.

I hope this helps and Ride Safe!!!

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:02 AM
lastson
|
Tourer

Yeah I have been debating on joining up with HOG but may just go ahead and pull the trigger. Its not going to be anything extravagant but i'm not very fond of my local dealers, where i got my bike is a good ride away and while im sure they would be very interested its just to far away i think. I want it to be about the ride/cause more then the dealership ya know but i know you can only do so much.

Old 03-12-2010 | 11:11 AM
lastson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
I'm not expert, but I have been involved in a couple of these for Helping Hands. Don’t try to do this yourself. See if you can get a few friends to help you out. You’ll need someone to map out the rout. You should let the towns, along your rout; know that your planning on coming passing threw. If you’re going to stop anywhere or at any business you should ask permission first. Most don’t mind the extra $$$$, but I know of one or two around here that don’t want a pack of bikes showing up in their parking lot.

The next thing is where are you going to end the run? Will you have food and entertainment? See if you can get someone to donate the food and drinks. You’re raising money for charity so you might want to think about holding raffles. It’s a good way to increase your contribution and it gives other a chance to win something. Visit your local businesses and ask for contribution. Donations are the key. The American Cancer Society should be able to help you if you have any questions.

I hope this helps and Ride Safe!!!
Sounds good very good info. Close personal friend is in a kick-*** band and they play the bike week even at our local HD last 2 years. Might be able to get them to show up and be the entertainment.

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:39 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

Reading your story sounded real similar to mine. I lost my Dad to cancer in April 09, and it was his second battle also, and as you said I watched the toughest man I've ever known waste away. Lost my mom to cancer in 1982. Terrible disease.

Never planned an event like this and I'm probably no help to you with ideas, but I sure as hell will show up and support it when you have it. Keep me posted.

Old 03-12-2010 | 01:20 PM
lastson
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hullhorr
Reading your story sounded real similar to mine. I lost my Dad to cancer in April 09, and it was his second battle also, and as you said I watched the toughest man I've ever known waste away. Lost my mom to cancer in 1982. Terrible disease.

Never planned an event like this and I'm probably no help to you with ideas, but I sure as hell will show up and support it when you have it. Keep me posted.
Awesome thanks brother!! Sorry about your Pop and your Mother. My uncle my Dad's Brother is currently fighting it now along with my fiances Grandmother and one of my 2nd Cousins. **** CANCER!!!

I'll keep you posted man as i try to figure it out, even if its not this season man i will make sure you get to ride with me man be damn glad to meet ya. Have to look each other up during one of the delmarva bike events this season. Share a beer for your pop/mom and my pops

Old 03-12-2010 | 01:35 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lastson
Have to look each other up during one of the delmarva bike events this season. Share a beer for your pop/mom and my pops
I look forward to it. I will at the very least be at the Delmarva Rally in Sept.

Quick Reply: Setting up memorial run/Relay for life fundraiser run in my dads memory CLUELESS