General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders who stop to close

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
russell6hp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
10ft!! id go around you and stop in front if someone left that much room!!imagine in heavy traffic if evryone left ten feet??
i usual park to the left or right so i can zap off if need be!
Agree 100%.

People leaving too space make the congestion worse, which means less people get through the traffic light on each cycle, which means the guy behind you can't get up to the turn lane, which means frustration sets in, which p!$$es everyone off, and then dumb **** happens!

I'm not saying don't leave enough space and don't have an out. Just don't act like you are the only guy on the road just because you're on a motorcycle. EVERYONE needs to use common sense!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member

It's good to here that most guys think as they are pulling up to a light. I should of mentioned in my first post that when this dude pulled up behind me he was dead center of the lane, And it's not like I don't try to keep the gap close because believe me I hate traffic as much or more then the next guy. But when I come up to a light I stop at the extreme left or right depending on the best out. I personally would not stop in the center of the lane just because of all the vehicles spewing out water and oil or whatever.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madjimmax
I was heading home from work today and I was pulling my trailer which is like an open landscaping trailer. Well I come to a stop at a red light and this dude pulls up behind me on a custom chopper and I mean he pulled up to about 2 feet away from the rear of my trailer, And apparently the person behind him wasn't paying attention and come sliding in, I seen it and pulled up as far as I could and luckily she stopped about 6 inches from his back tire. Now it's none of my business how any body else rides but damn don't be a victim of something you probably could of prevented. All I could see was this dude being shoved through the meshed rear door of my trailer like some mashed potatoes.
Things in your mirror sometimes appear closer or further than they really are,..... but I know what you mean about avoiding "pinch points".

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwideuce
10ft!! id go around you and stop in front if someone left that much room!!imagine in heavy traffic if evryone left ten feet??
i usual park to the left or right so i can zap off if need be!
Originally Posted by russell6hp
Agree 100%.

People leaving too space make the congestion worse, which means less people get through the traffic light on each cycle, which means the guy behind you can't get up to the turn lane, which means frustration sets in, which p!$$es everyone off, and then dumb **** happens!

I'm not saying don't leave enough space and don't have an out. Just don't act like you are the only guy on the road just because you're on a motorcycle. EVERYONE needs to use common sense!
Seems it has been said more than it has been listened to...
Common sense aint always so common!

kiwideuce, I believe the guy who posted the 10' was speaking mostly of while moving down the road. Even if he did leave 10' between him and the vehicle in front at stop light/sign, and you pull in front of him, your bike is almost 8' long. That doesn't leave much space, nor does it say much for you respecting another rider. Evidently that doesn't matter to you tho.

russel6hp, if you get pissed so easily from some one attempting to ride safely, perhaps you'd be better suited for four wheels and maybe an anger management class or two? Just sayin, idiot operators are not always found in cages. Perhaps re-evaluating your "Just don't act like you are the only guy on the road just because you're on a motorcycle." statement from a different perspective you can see what I'm sayin...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I totally agree with croc. kiwi you pull around me and put me in a position to have no out and you and I may be having a problem. Just sayin. 10ft isn't more than a bike lenght and if you are in that much of a hurry maybe you ahould find a different route.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I know just what you mean. I drive 73 miles one way to work each day. The freeway is at a crawl or stopped and they have to stop so you can not even see their headlights. This is why there are 10+ car pile ups there is no where to go. It has nothing to do with that the roads are slick you can not stop in good weather in 2 inches. You are not going to be going any faster if you crawl up my ***. I also drive a stick and these jerks get right behind no chance of any slight rollback.
Thank you for letting me vent. This is one of my biggest peaves in addition to the jerk that sits in the left lane doing the speed limit or under it. Don't get me started on that. All I can say is that they are very lucky that I am not packing.!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
lastson
Tourer

Since we are on this subject and I am sick of having to lean down when wearing my leather to see in my mirrors on my 2000 Deuce. I love the mirrors but i honestly need them to reach out about another 2-3 inches. I'm 6'4 290 and have WIDE shoulders. So when my leather is on i have to squeeze my arms in to see whats behind me. I have tried adjusting every position. Kuryaldkjfalsdjflsjdyn make any kind of adapter or anything to keep the mirros i have and maybe raise or extend them out or does the MOCO. Because i thought about this last night as a lady was about 2ft off my rear tire texting. I had an out but still, i dont wanna be leaning to see in the mirror then dump it trying to get away and still get smashed ya know.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless somebody wants the Nickname Scar,we all have to be alert to what others are doing on the road at all times along with what we are doing and along with road conditions too.But having said all that I still love it!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

One more item that I haven't seen mentioned...most of you know this....don't put the bike in neutral. Be in gear should you need to go go go!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by russell6hp
Agree 100%.

Measure off 10-feet and then tell me that's too much distance. It's not. I may only leave 7 or 8-feet, but that's me, and everyone needs to do what makes them safe and comfortable. I always have an escape route when I stop and check my mirrors for the cage behind me.

In any event I agree with Crok. You might need an anger management class.

Quick Reply: Riders who stop to close