General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call this morning again -whew!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:52 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by yorgo
They seem to be happening more and more lately. Riding in this morning, barely any traffic. It's almost 6am and I'm 3 miles from the office. Getting off the highway onto 36 street the off-ramp is nice and twisty and I usually take it at a nice clip.

Today I ended up behind one of those long trucks hawling soda - pepsi to be exact. He's making the last right hand curve and I'm right behind him, probably closer then I should have been.

The handtruck (dolly) snaps off the back of the truck and slams onto the asphalt right in front of me. It's sparking as it slides around and I'm trying to figure out where it's going to go. I took a chance and swerved hard to the left and totally lucked out. It went to the right. I just about crapped myself.

Doesn't matter how many years of experience you get it's something that gets your juices pumping hard. Needless to say no need for coffee this morning.

Last time this happened I was behind a moving truck. He hit a bump, the sliding door popped loose and out came the dining room furniture. Ended up jumping the sportster off the dining room table, which had no legs yet, nearly getting whacked by a chair.

Moral of the story? Stay away from trucks.
Originally Posted by karaokeman
Going faster than you should and following too closely will ALWAYS get you into trouble
Moral of the story
And the title is close call this morning again?
Glad your OK.....Sounds like you got lucky, also sounds like you may be pushing your luck somewhat. As you stated it doesn't take alot of traffic to encounter a hazard. Some of the others have offered some things we all need to be aware of. In addition to what has already been mentioned I've learned to stay away from trucks/pickups if they have no rear mudflaps, especially if I can see a stone stuck in the tire.

Tech23

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:57 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

I was behind a SHELL OIL semi truck last year on the interstate. He decides to change lanes at a rapid pace. Nozzles and other items begin to spill out of a panel door that flung open.
I was able to miss all the crap that spilled out. The car behind me was not as lucky.
I always avoid being behind trucks, trailers, PU trucks, utility vans...pretty much any vehicle that has tools, ladders, boxes or any item or cargo on board.
Glad you were able to avoid a potential disaster.
I would call the local or closest Pepsi distributer and let them know what happened. They can tell you exactly what truck/vendor route this came off from other than the obviuos missing dolly or when the driver calls in for a dolly cause his is missing.
Be safe and again I am glad all turned out ok.
Didnt need any coffee the rest of the day did ja????

Old 03-11-2010 | 12:28 PM
fxdcrusty
Advanced

I hate hay trucks on the freeway! You know you have to pass them, but you know it's gonna suck. That stuff stings worse than most bugs. Landscapers with trailers full of lawn equipment always make me real nervous. One time I was on a two lane road behind a small horse trailer with two horse's azzes sticking out the back. I kept waiting for those horse's to drop a bomb on me. I agree that distance is you friend.

Old 03-11-2010 | 12:47 PM
ultrat
Road Master

Years ago im on my 69 triumph.I see it in the road, i look at it, why i did not swerve i dont know.Front end goes up all 8" over tubes lucky it shoots off to the side, bikes dancin, course its a hardtail. Boots come down heel goes flying never did find it. A bowling ball...in the road...