General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call this morning again -whew!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010 | 09:40 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by petemac
Sounds like you just took the Pepsi challenge......
LOL! Seriously, glad it went your way so to speak. Always expect the unexpected, especially on a bike.

Old 03-10-2010 | 11:56 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Last may riding at 70 mph the car in front of me ran over a mattress. When he ran it over it flipped into the air and knocked me off my bike. I had zero time to react. I slid down the hwy for what seemed like a hundred or so yards. Broke my right wrist and i had road rash that took over two months to heal. I now have a titanium plate with twelve screws holding my wrist together. I was just happy I didn't get run over after I hit the ground.

Attached Thumbnails Close call this morning again  -whew!-dougs-x-ray-001.jpg   Close call this morning again  -whew!-new-pics-from-camera-july-22-09-001.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010 | 01:11 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad you dodged that one.

I saw a funny version of a similar incident. A 7 Up truck had just completed a delivery. He forgot to close the doors. He took at turn in the parking lot, right at the top of a long, steep entrance. Hundreds of bottles of soda fell out and rolled down the hill. I'm sure HE didn't think it was funny, but *I* sure as hell did!

Old 03-11-2010 | 01:21 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

Originally Posted by madjimmax
Sounds like you people are riding way too close to other people. A guy that worked with my neighbor was following a 4x4 pickup to closely going down I-695 and the pickup drove over a cinder block which it cleared and needless to say he did not and he is no longer with us anymore.
You need to make up your mind. In another thread you said stopped 10 feet from another car/truck was to far away. So, what is it.

Old 03-11-2010 | 01:36 AM
RyKR
Cruiser

I pulled over to help someone along the road one time and there was a driveshaft sticking out of the radiator on his car! The vehicle in front of him lost a u-joint and dropped the drive shaft. It bounced just right and wound up going through the radiator on the car behind him. Just imagine if it would have bounced a little higher and came through the windshield. It would suck getting lanced by a driveshaft.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:41 AM
yorgo
|
Advanced

well I've had plenty of close calls. After 23 years of riding I learned the hard way that distance is your friend. I typically keep a wide gap between me and whatever is in front of me. As much as I try to always think of what may happen I sometimes forget and get comfortable. Thats when bad things happen.

Here's my list of general precautions I think about while riding -
- Stay far behind, never tail gate (minimum 2 seconds at highway speeds)
- Keep relative speed different then all others around you. Moving targets are easier to see
- Never stay in someones blind spot
- Absolutely NEVER use the right lane to pass the slow guy, unless he's in the far left
- If first at the light, count at least 3 seconds before crossing the intersection
- Carry a tire repair kit, rain gear, first aid kit, and hand gun at all times.
- Never pass traffic faster then 20mph above their speed
- always assume someone will open their door as your passing
- don't pass on 2 lane roads if there are upcoming streets or driveways to turn left into.
- don't go faster then 100mph unless the road is dry and there's nobody else on it.
- don't drive behind pickups, dump trucks, or semi's

What else am I missing? There's a bunch of things to keep in mind when riding. These become second nature after enough miles and close calls. I've been extremely lucky so far. In 23 years I've only gone down once. That's all it took to respect any bike I ride.

There are cases where an accident is completely unavoidable no matter how experienced or aware you are. Those "oh ****" moments can happen at any time. Just be aware of your surroundings and always have an exit plan just in case.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:45 AM
jasony0423
Cruiser

Originally Posted by yorgo
- Carry a tire repair kit, rain gear, first aid kit, and hand gun at all times.
What's the handgun for? I'd planned to always keep mine in the house.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:57 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

Going faster than you should and following too closely will ALWAYS get you into trouble
Moral of the story

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:14 AM
yorgo
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by jasony0423
What's the handgun for? I'd planned to always keep mine in the house.
Just in case. On occasion I'm stuck at a clients office until late at night (midnight or so). They are not exactly in the best part of town. When it hits the fan I would rather have something to defend myself with than not. I'll probably end up shooting myself with it anyhow. Isn't that what usually happens?

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:21 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member

When I first started riding, I was following an "empty" dump truck, about 8 to 10 carlengths back, when a piece of loose gravel came out of his box, took one hop and struck my right knee. It was all I could do to keep the bike up. I ended up pulling over to check for bleeding.

Construction equipment on flatbeds is another hazard, all that dried mud breaking off in the wind! Not to mention road gators!

Quick Reply: Close call this morning again -whew!