General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call this morning again -whew!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010 | 04:48 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain

Originally Posted by petemac
Sounds like you just took the Pepsi challenge......
" nice " .....

Same kinda thing here .... I was riding behind a pickup truck with 2 mattresses strapped on top of a pretty big load of furniture .... I thought to myself " that top mattress does not look like it's strapped down very well" so I pulled ahead of the truck and went on my way. About two miles later I was stopped at a light. The same truck pulls up next to me, with only one mattress on top now .... catching a king size mattress at 50 mph on my scooter would not be any fun at all ....

Be safe out there everyone .... watch out for everything you can think of ... and more ....

Old 03-10-2010 | 05:02 PM
asm481
Road Master

INCREASE FOLLOWING DISTANCE.....I drive for a living. Following distance is your best defense to most all problems.

Old 03-10-2010 | 05:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by petemac
Sounds like you just took the Pepsi challenge......

Old 03-10-2010 | 06:00 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by asm481
INCREASE FOLLOWING DISTANCE.....I drive for a living. Following distance is your best defense to most all problems.
I agree, distance is your friend......
The tortoise wins the race sometimes.......

Old 03-10-2010 | 06:12 PM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member

Sounds like you people are riding way too close to other people. A guy that worked with my neighbor was following a 4x4 pickup to closely going down I-695 and the pickup drove over a cinder block which it cleared and needless to say he did not and he is no longer with us anymore.

Old 03-10-2010 | 06:22 PM
CB5150
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force

Holy smokes, glad you are OK!

Old 03-10-2010 | 06:37 PM
Xzapno_Mapcase
Advanced

The worst situations I've ever been in while driving were caused by pick-up trucks. Once I was behind a guy who was hauling drywall. The wind ended up picking up these sheets of dry wall and blowing them all over the highway. One landed about 50 feet in front of me perfectly vertical. Fortunately it smashed to pieces and crumbled to the ground.

Another time I was traveling on the express way when a pickup with a load of crap in the back dumped a wooden saw horse out onto the road. It went under the SUV beside me who almost lost control and crashed. That SUV just barley managed to avoid tipping over at 65 MPH! It was a very scary moment.

I think you should have to get an endorsement on your licenses to drive a pick-up. Make 'em take a test to prove they know how to secure a load.

Old 03-10-2010 | 08:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member

ON the bike I give extra room between the vehicle in front of me,, more so than when in a cager...

lost a cousin and couple friends by stuff coming out of the vehicle in front of them....

On a bike U need the extra room to avoid trouble...

Old 03-10-2010 | 08:24 PM
SBJJC
Banned

Originally Posted by yorgo
Moral of the story? Stay away from trucks.
i was just going to say!!! i never follow those mothers. had a close call with a truck hauling dirt... and one big rock. the rock missed my head by six inches when it bounced out and up and over, my bike, me and the wife. Never followed one since!

Old 03-10-2010 | 09:23 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

You should have picked up some lottery tickets today. ya got some luck going on there!!

Quick Reply: Close call this morning again -whew!