General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportbikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:05 AM
helotaxi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportbikes

Thought I'd revive this thread with an update. I broke down in Nov and bought another bike as a commuter. I got one of the last Triumph Speed Fours imported to the States. As far as Bang for the Buck, I don't think I could have done any better. $6500 for a 600 sport bike without fairings and a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. She's a whole different animal than the Dyna. Great brakes, excellent acceleration, precise handling, all around superb motorcycle. She isn't equipped for the long haul, but around town I'm a lot more comfortable on her than the HD. Averaging about 45 MPG to and from work.

Don't let the above make you think that I love HDs any less. First, she's a Brit Bike, not rice. Second, I put money down on a new Street Glide just the other day

I've pretty much discovered that I really like motorcycles of all kinds. I thought that it was just cruisers that held my fancy but I had an open mind about the whle thing and I must say it's a blast riding the little rocketship around. I'm even considering getting a fourth bike more for the track. If I do it'll be another Triumph. The Daytona 675 really has my eye right now. I still don't really see the point of the 'Busa or the new big Ninja,except compensation for something, but to each his own.

As for "what's Harley doing wrong?", nothing the way I see it. They still are the brand of choice for cruisers and bikes that you plan to keep for a long time. If anyone is doing anything wrong IMO, it's the metric makers trying to make Harley clones rather than going their own way. I think that Honda has something with the VTX. Unlike the Shadow, you don't mistake one of them for a Harley. The Star cruisers look like a straight clone. I don't see any Harleys that look like what the metric sport bikes are doing, and Harley isn't having trouble selling bikes. I can't find anything wrong there...

Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 AM
marcus84
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll never beat a Jap bike but at least your bike looks cool and doesn't sound like a blender! [8D]

Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 11harley11

I'm really getting tired of getting my a@# kicked by all these jap bikes. I have a 1200 Sportster and I know I will never be able to compete with the crotch rockets but it really sucks to get easily beat by a girl on a little 500 Ninja. I wish there were some somewhat inexpensive mods to at least keep me from being totally embarrassed by all these kids.

You wanna compete with these crotch rockets? Ask them to go on a 500 mile ride with you and see who's smiling at the end.

JB

Old 03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

There was a guy here localy that rides a black and orange 883R, I have personally seen him tear 600's and 750's a new A-hole on the street. At the track he would beat most 1000's and be right on the @$$ of of the Busa's. This guy is a long time drag racer and engine builder. Last I heard he sold the 883 and went back to racing cars. So long story short you can turn that Sporty into a monster if you wanted to.

KB

Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by helotaxi

Don't let the above make you think that I love HDs any less. First, she's a Brit Bike, not rice.
uh, whats wrong with Japanese, what you call "rice"? Also if you dont like "rice" bikes why did you get a clone of one? Thats right, the four cylender new Triumphs are clones, just like you claim japanese cruiser are closed of Indian, oop, I mean harleys...

Their 3 cyl engines are both great and unique tho.

Congrats on broadening your riding appriciation though. There is too much fun to be had out there to only ride cruisers.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

5 letters:

B-U-E-L-L

Old 03-10-2006, 07:23 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different animals altogether but the Daytona 200 bike races are this weekend and my friend from the Buell factory told me that Buell is on the starting grid with the #8, 13, 14, and 15 bikes. I'm not too sure of the class, or how many bikes start a race, but either way, not too shabby for a bunch of v-twins.