General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportbikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: Sportbikes

Come on Clammy, you can admit that you own a Dodge. No shame, or at least limited shame.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Rubberduck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SKJOLD,

I am typing this reply with all due respect to you...but I have to take exception to your comments. I am fortunate enough to own both a 2005 Harley Road King and 2002 Kawi ZX-12R Ninja sportbike. I'm not sure if you have spent time riding sportbikes in the past or currently and are making your comments from first hand experience or not... but I find some inaccuracy in your statements.

First "speed" is not the only thing these "crotch rockets" are good for. They can accomplish this task well, but they handle the road and stop like no Harley I've ever ridden...and I've riden every Harley model there is. In many cases I feel more in control on my "crotch rocket" when I am riding than I do on my RK. This is due to their excellent brakes, handling characteristics, and powerful engines.

Second as for "class and style" that is a matter of opinion. I absolutly think my ZX-12R is a stunning bike to look at (see attached). The Ninja line has a rich history all it's own that can be appreciated if understood. In addition other brands like Ducati, MV Agusta have tons of style and class...all very stylish and classy motorcycles with storied histories like the Harley name sake.

Third...4 cylinders are annoying??? Have you been to Sturgis for a full week and stayed at or camped near any road...and constantly heard the sound of the push rod V-twin....again that can be annoying as well. Dont get me wrong...I love the sound of the HD V-twin...but the sound of my Kawi 1200cc four cylinder at full song is AWESOME!

Fourth...As far as taking a 300+ mile trips on my Ninja...been there and done that too many times to count. It is a very comfortable Motorcycle let alone a comfortable "crotch rocket". My Ninja puts my weight on different pressure points than my Harley. I actually find riding my Ninja refreshing and less fatiguing to my butt than my HD since my weight is supported by my legs. Like any bike...I have installed new bars (www.helibars.com) on my Ninja that put less weight on my wrists....and a Corbin seat...again not uncomfortable at all. FYI...I am not a kid either...I'm 6' 5" tall and 41 years old. No problems with discomfort here.

Lastly...as for "crotch rockets" having nothing to do with "us"...not sure what you mean. I ride a Harley and a Sport bike. I appreciate all bikes for the fact that they are part of the greater community of people that ride motorcycles. I consider myself a motorcyclist and as a member of the AMA and HOG...I can appreciate all the types, styles, and brands for what they are and what they do. I love riding my HD RK, but I also enjoy riding my ZX-12R. The fact that we ride is what counts...

I wish you well, SKJOLD...again I am not trying to bash you or put you down. Hopefully I gave you a new prespective. Best wishes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2109/707010ACA15046D29038B23DC003A730.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

Two wheels is two wheels! If you're happy on your ride, then who cares what everyone else is doing? Ride and Let Ride!

Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: scatterbrain

Two wheels is two wheels! If you're happy on your ride, then who cares what everyone else is doing? Ride and Let Ride!

I agree...[sm=exactly.gif]

...by the way...nice Duc!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:32 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Rubberduck

I agree...[sm=exactly.gif]

...by the way...nice Duc!
thanks - the pic is from the web, so it's not a pic of mine - but mine is identical. And I'm definitely looking forward to parking an HD next to it in the next few months!

Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If, my comments seemed condesending to sportbikers, I apologise for that was not my intention. I was simply pointing out some observations I have noticed.

I used to ride in a motorcycle club at my University. The club was composed of mostly sportbikes and the riders on Harleys and other cruisers where kinda somewhat treated like outcasts. So that is why I said that they would have nothing to do with us. Even now when I wave to one on the road, I usually dont receive a wave back. So it is not just Harley riders that dont return waves. This lack of courtesy seems to go both ways here. Just an observation.

ORIGINAL: Rubberduck

SKJOLD,

I am typing this reply with all due respect to you...but I have to take exception to your comments. I am fortunate enough to own both a 2005 Harley Road King and 2002 Kawi ZX-12R Ninja sportbike. I'm not sure if you have spent time riding sportbikes in the past or currently and are making your comments from first hand experience or not... but I find some inaccuracy in your statements.

First "speed" is not the only thing these "crotch rockets" are good for. They can accomplish this task well, but they handle the road and stop like no Harley I've ever ridden...and I've riden every Harley model there is. In many cases I feel more in control on my "crotch rocket" when I am riding than I do on my RK. This is due to their excellent brakes, handling characteristics, and powerful engines.

Second as for "class and style" that is a matter of opinion. I absolutly think my ZX-12R is a stunning bike to look at (see attached). The Ninja line has a rich history all it's own that can be appreciated if understood. In addition other brands like Ducati, MV Agusta have tons of style and class...all very stylish and classy motorcycles with storied histories like the Harley name sake.

Third...4 cylinders are annoying??? Have you been to Sturgis for a full week and stayed at or camped near any road...and constantly heard the sound of the push rod V-twin....again that can be annoying as well. Dont get me wrong...I love the sound of the HD V-twin...but the sound of my Kawi 1200cc four cylinder at full song is AWESOME!

Fourth...As far as taking a 300+ mile trips on my Ninja...been there and done that too many times to count. It is a very comfortable Motorcycle let alone a comfortable "crotch rocket". My Ninja puts my weight on different pressure points than my Harley. I actually find riding my Ninja refreshing and less fatiguing to my butt than my HD since my weight is supported by my legs. Like any bike...I have installed new bars (www.helibars.com) on my Ninja that put less weight on my wrists....and a Corbin seat...again not uncomfortable at all. FYI...I am not a kid either...I'm 6' 5" tall and 41 years old. No problems with discomfort here.

Lastly...as for "crotch rockets" having nothing to do with "us"...not sure what you mean. I ride a Harley and a Sport bike. I appreciate all bikes for the fact that they are part of the greater community of people that ride motorcycles. I consider myself a motorcyclist and as a member of the AMA and HOG...I can appreciate all the types, styles, and brands for what they are and what they do. I love riding my HD RK, but I also enjoy riding my ZX-12R. The fact that we ride is what counts...

I wish you well, SKJOLD...again I am not trying to bash you or put you down. Hopefully I gave you a new prespective. Best wishes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2109/707010ACA15046D29038B23DC003A730.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2005, 10:55 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats the hurry? Where will you be when you get where you're going?

Old 06-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Iceman
Tourer

rubberduck,
first off, good looking 12-r. i had a blue 04 that i sold so that i could buy my road king. i love my road king, but i loved every sportbike i had too. i am playing with the idea of getting a n 02 or 03 RC51 as a second bike, but i dont know yet. either way, i wanted to commend you on your post. it's so common for people to bash the other brand(s) that your post was refreshing.
i got rid of the 12-r because i am a deputy sheriff, and on that bike it was just too easy to do dumb ****. i like my job, so i slowed it down. the only thing i regret is that i waited this long to do it...

Old 06-04-2005, 07:33 PM
DiggsUK
Stage III

[quote]ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

"Speed is the only thing those crotch rockets have. No class, or style. The sound of the 4 cylinder engine is annoying at best and only tolerated because it can push the bike to suicidal speeds."

A US Harley riding friend sent me a link to this site because I told him that one of my bikes is uncomfortable under 80mph. He thought I might like to see things from the Harley perspective. By the way, love the site!

I have read a bit of the Sportsbike thread, and the comment above stands out to me like a turd in a cot. I suppose things are different in England, but over here Harleys have no greater class or style than any other sort of bike, unless you don't ride in which case chrome mean everything. Most riders would secretly like a Harley in the garage as a summer plaything but are put off by the lack of brakes, handling, ground clearance etc and also by the fact that Harleys tend to be used by middle-managers wanting to appear 'bad' in front of next door's missus and the boys at the golf club. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Harleys or people that ride them, I'm just pointing out a difference in perspective.

The quote about sports bikes having no class or style comes from somebody with a very blinkered viewpoint clearly. Class and style are as with most things in the eye of the beholder. To my mind something pretending to be something it is not (Virago etc) is an imitation of somebody elses style and by definition lacks the 'class' of the original, but others will disagree saying a Virago does everything a Harley can and a whole lot more besides. Just differing opinions, thats all. Sports bikes on the other hand do not pretend to be anything they are not and have their own class and style as a result. Whether it rings your bell is up to you.

I personally have never owned a Harley. I did ride an antiquated 1200 around a field many years ago, and despite the fact that I could have gone faster on a 125, the memory stays with me today whereas that of many other bikes does not. To me this is the appeal of a 'different' bike like a big V twin. I owned a Guzzi a few years ago and loved that. Nowadays I run an 885 Speed Triple, a Bimota with a GSXR11 engine and a couple of old Kawa triples. I like them all for different reasons and I use them for different purposes. The Bimota makes 156bhp and goes like stink, and I use it to go like stink! The Triumph feels like a trail bike in comparison and is best chasing modern sportsbikes on sunny days, whereas the stinkwheels are in a constant state of rebuild and annoy the missus because they take up my time. They all have their own style and class, and I defy the bloke who thinks they can't have because they aren't Harleys to argue against me.

As for the noise, the intake roar from the Bim, the tunes from the Triumph and the 'ring ding ding duuuuhhh (middle plug again!) from the Kawas are all music to my ears...

Sorry about the rant folks.

Regards

Old 06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
11harley11
6th Gear

Look, I originally began racing cars and it was fun, and easy, to beat the living !@#$ out of these dumbasses in their buzz-bomb imports with my 400ci '67 Chevelle. When I bought a Harley I knew that would no longer be a real possibility but it was just an old habit. By no means did I want to give the impression that I acutally HATE sportbikes because I don't. I have an awesome respect for something as small as a 600cc that can run 10's and 11's and still corner like no other. I have since realized that if you want something fast and affordable with exceptional quality and value you buy American cars and Japanese bikes. Sorry, but you really can't argue with that logic. No reasonably fast American bikes are cheap and no reasonably cheap American bikes are fast.[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Sportbikes