General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona 2010 Sucked

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
N4SIR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona 2010 Sucked

This year in Daytona it wasn`t a total waste but not far from it. Rode my bike down on the 28th from north of Atlanta and it was a good but cool ride. Once there it was cold all week and not much of anything going on. Always the usual rip-off vendors and such but not a lot of activities other than the bars and demo rides. My son came down on Tuesday and we had some good times together but he almost got a ticket for his pipes in S. Daytona. Lucky for him I am a LEO myself or he would have dropped a few $$ in their pocket. His 91 Softail isn`t that loud to me but still the meter showed over 90 db. Friday night was a bust at Iron Horse. Even with David Allen Coe there we had no problem parking or walking up to get a drink. We did get some new ink by Bosco from Willie`s Tropical while there though. This has to be the worst week I have ever seen there and have been going since 1974. Maybe the fall event will be better both weather and crowd.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Sorry to hear it. Could just be a sign of the bad economic times.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

yep, I was there on the 28th also and the Iron Horse was dead. In fact, we left on Tuesday because it was raining and it was dead all over Daytona up till we left. A little busier on Monday but not like normal. I think the economy was the biggest thing, no extra funds. Still, I didn't go for the crowds, I went to ride in a different environment because I am tired of looking at all the same old roads around my area. Was still fun, just not much as normal.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
exitinyourhead
Cruiser

I had a great time in and around it. We had a good group go together tho and we pretty much have fun wherever we are.

It was just what I expected. The weather wasn't great, but it really wasn't a deal breaker.

Went to Key West and had an even better time.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Willetts1
Advanced

We had a great time also. Coming from freezing Delaware I thought it was perfect riding weather. I have found that almost all events are basically the same. they are what you make of them. If you think they sucked then they sucked. If you liked it you liked it.
Hear the same thing year after year.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I was in the Rieman's HD Monday picking up my bike and a retired couple came in to have their bagger serviced. They had just returned from Daytona and said they had poor weather and both caught colds.

They did not enjoy it as well as past years.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by N4SIR
This year in Daytona it wasn`t a total waste but not far from it. Rode my bike down on the 28th from north of Atlanta and it was a good but cool ride. Once there it was cold all week and not much of anything going on. Always the usual rip-off vendors and such but not a lot of activities other than the bars and demo rides. My son came down on Tuesday and we had some good times together but he almost got a ticket for his pipes in S. Daytona. Lucky for him I am a LEO myself or he would have dropped a few $$ in their pocket. His 91 Softail isn`t that loud to me but still the meter showed over 90 db. Friday night was a bust at Iron Horse. Even with David Allen Coe there we had no problem parking or walking up to get a drink. We did get some new ink by Bosco from Willie`s Tropical while there though. This has to be the worst week I have ever seen there and have been going since 1974. Maybe the fall event will be better both weather and crowd.
I rode up from Tampa for a day trip, just to look around. Every time I go to a rally, it reinforces why I always promise myself to never go again...and that includes Sturgis. What's the draw of a crowded bar, semi-drunk posers, and overpriced junk?
How sad and pathetic that the big "thrill" is to see a wet T-shirt contest or to catch a glimpse of some trailer park Suzy wearing short shorts? I think most adults outgrow that kind of bull$hit over time. Most riders like to ride...the rest is just BS. Welcome to adulthood...you've reached true enlightenment Grasshopper!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
casper gomez
Tourer

Originally Posted by Airborne06
I rode up from Tampa for a day trip, just to look around. Every time I go to a rally, it reinforces why I always promise myself to never go again...and that includes Sturgis. What's the draw of a crowded bar, semi-drunk posers, and overpriced junk?
How sad and pathetic that the big "thrill" is to see a wet T-shirt contest or to catch a glimpse of some trailer park Suzy wearing short shorts? I think most adults outgrow that kind of bull$hit over time. Most riders like to ride...the rest is just BS. Welcome to adulthood...you've reached true enlightenment Grasshopper!

damn dude, i was just about to complain that i didn't see as many boobies this time.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Now I know why my wife keeps telling me to act my age...if thats what happens, I dont ever want to see true enlightenment....

Old 03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mid evil train

Now I know why my wife keeps telling me to act my age...if thats what happens, I dont ever want to see true enlightenment....[/QUOTE]

Hey Mid Evil (Medieval?) Train:
Yep...my wife says the same to me. I think my poorly made point was an attempt to explain the disappointment one often feels with the rally scene...and it usually happens due to the realization (a "duh" moment) that this chit isn't cool, it's no longer fun...it's stupid or lowbrow. Some take longer to come to this realization than others. Some never do. YMMV. I think everyone should do, and absolutely have the right to do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, and it doesn't break the law. Just sayin'....

Quick Reply: Daytona 2010 Sucked