General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor cycle insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt any company covers a passenger for medical other than a spouse and then only to the limits of the medical coverage of the motorcycle policy. Basically the passenger should have major medical coverage of their own.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Liability covers a passenger who is not part of your household.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AARP/Foremost

If you are 50 or older-join AARP and call them!! AWESOME prices and coverage...They even cover up to $1500 worth of riding gear!! I'm in The hell state of NY as well...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Saved a bunch by moving everything from Farmers to Allstate,even better coverage and lower deductables.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Liability covers a passenger who is not part of your household.
Bodily injury liability covers you if you're sued due to an accident. It does not pay your own medical bills. On a motorcycle policy medical coverage is listed below that if you have coverage and then in the policy who is covered. As far as I know only the named insured and spouse are covered. If you have uninsured and underinsured motorist liabllity and collect, you could use it to pay your own medical bills. Unisured motorist liability is paid by YOUR insurance company up to the limits of the policy if you are seriously injured and the other driver has no insurance. Underinsured motorist pays if the other driver had low limits of bodily injury liability. Your own insurance company will pay the difference up to the limits of YOUR policy. So if your're injured in an accident and the other person only has $20,000 liability coverage and you have $500,000 underinsured motorist liability, if you're seriously injured his company would pay $20,000 and yours would pay another $480,000. I've said this a dozen times, purchase the highest limits of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage you can buy from your carrier. One reason I have Progressive is the offer half million uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. It's not expensive and it protects YOU.

Last edited by barjbar; 03-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Bodily injury liability covers you if you're sued due to an accident. It does not pay your own medical bills. On a motorcycle policy medical coverage is listed below that if you have coverage and then in the policy who is covered. As far as I know only the named insured and spouse are covered. If you have uninsured and underinsured motorist liabllity and collect, you could use it to pay your own medical bills. Unisured motorist liability is paid by YOUR insurance company up to the limits of the policy if you are seriously injured and the other driver has no insurance. Underinsured motorist pays if the other driver had low limits of bodily injury liability. Your own insurance company will pay the difference up to the limits of YOUR policy. So if your're injured in an accident and the other person only has $20,000 liability coverage and you have $500,000 underinsured motorist liability, if you're seriously injured his company would pay $20,000 and yours would pay another $480,000. I've said this a dozen times, purchase the highest limits of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage you can buy from your carrier. One reason I have Progressive is the offer half million uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. It's not expensive and it protects YOU.

Yeah, all that is correct......and like I said before.... Liability covers the medical expenses of a passenger that is not part of your household who is injured in a wreck that is your fault. No where did I say it would pay for the insured's injuries. My reply was in response to your suggestion in post # 11 that you doubt if a passenger will be covered.... Also, they will pay without you being sued.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 03-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.