General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
tsl2112
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

I have a situation where I need to fit 2 cars plus my bike (2005 Fat Boy) in a 2 car garage. One of these lifts from Sears or Lowes seems like the way to go, since they both appear to have casters. What's it like to dolly the bike around the garage on one of these things while it's in the air? I envision pulling in, putting it up on the lift, and dollying it to one side of the garage. It's hard to believe something that cost under $100 is substantial enough, but then again, I hope I'm wrong because this could be the best solution for me.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

I don't know about putting my bike on the lift and then rolling it around the garage. Unless the jack you speak of is nicer than the one I got at Tractor Supply. It cost about 60 or 70 dollars at the time. I guess if you tied the bike down after jacking it up might be one thing, but I normally only jack mine up to wash it or to change fluids, and I don't move it once it's in the air. JMHO

Lynn

Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

I have the sears (in signature picture below). I know it has a couple of straps that I've never used. But, I don't even want to jack mine up and move the entire bike and jack when the bike is up off the ground. I just don't think this kind of jack is designed for that or safe for that matter.

I'm sure someone has moved a house with one and didn't have a bit of problems. I would feel safe moving my dog house with it for that matter.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:13 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would jack mine up for detailing but I wouldn't be moving it around on the lift.

I also have two cars and one bike in a two car garage. Luckily one of the cars is small (Miata). I park the bike in front of the Miata, sideways (across the front of the car).

It's not too much of a hassel. I back the big car out to get the bike in or out. Alot less inconvenient than when I had three cars and a two bikes !!!

Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Any of the less expensive jacks I looked at had a warning in the instructions that cautioned against moving a bike while it is lifted.

My Dunwell Jack is made to do just that.

www.dunwelllifts.com

Old 07-30-2006, 11:26 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I would be a little leery of moving a bike on a jack unless it was tied down and stabilized.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
FreddyP
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I have one of the Sears jacks and have used it to raise the bike just high enough off the floor to push the bike close to the wall. It's a scary operation even with the bike strapped down to the jack and our garage floor is very smooth. We now have two bikes, so one of the cars has wound up outside. No more need to slide the bike around. BTW - the bike that was moved around was an 03 EG bagger....so it can be done....but it's scary. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read many posts here of guys that buy these jacks and then move their bikes around, but I'm not spending less than $100 for a jack to raise my $23,000 bike in the air and move it around like it's a toy.

Up, detail, down as fast as I can!

Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 PM
tsl2112
6th Gear

Thanks for the responses, it appears to be unanimous... (no lifting and moving for me!)

Old 07-31-2006, 12:37 AM
stc13
Tourer

someone here mentioned www.jsjacks.com
I had been comparing and trying to justify the cost of a good lift/jack
for the past two weeks, went ahead and ordered the big wheel lift from them this weekend
this looks like a solid lift check it out

Quick Reply: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)