General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

I move my Ultra around on the J&S Jack all the time, WITHOUT straps. Jack is made well and does this easily. Currently due to the winter weather up here, my Ultra is sitting on the jack, pushed against the wall, with the wifes Deluxe sitting as close and tight to it as possible, so that I can get 2 cars into the garage during the off season.

Bike will stay on the jack all winter, without straps, same as I did last year with no problems whatsoever.

You get what you pay for...the J&S is worth every penny.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
TruBluUltra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

ORIGINAL: tsl2112

Thanks for the responses, it appears to be unanimous... (no lifting and moving for me!)
I have the yellow sears jack and use it every time that I ride.....also move the bike while it's on the jack every time. The main reason for the use of the jack is so that I can roll the bike over against the wall in order to take up less space....when I'm ready to ride, I pull the bike (while it's up on the jack) out to the center of the garage, then lower the bike off of the jack. I'm sorry but if your garage floor isn't rough as a cobb, there is no problem.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to what Mudpuddle said; I too have the yellow Sears jack and I use it when working on either bike, but I also store the Sportster on it and up against the garage wall. I move the Sportster on it without tying it down; wheels just off the floor and very carefully. I am also very careful when placing the jack under the bike to get it in the exactly correct spot. .............. BC

Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whaap: I had the same problem with the yellow Sears jack and my Sportster. I discovered that all I had to do was to position the bike on its jiffystand, move the jack under until it stopped against the jiffystand, grab the bike by the throttle grip and pull it into the upright position. With that done the bike come up and over the jack arms perfectly for the lift. I then 'jack' the pump handle while holding the bike vertical. It works like a charm for me. I reverse all this when coming down.You want to be very careful when twisting the jack handle open to release the hydraulics. Just a slight opening twist will start the bike/jack down very slowly. When the bike is setting on the concrete again I open the jack handle fully and then pull the jack to me just slightly. At that I can let the bike lean over on the jiffystand. You do want to make sure that the jiffystand is still in the down and locked position while letting the jack/bike down.

I am very nearly your age and have no problem with this. I also as said before move the Sportster all over the garage while up on the jack with no problem. It is solid enough that I no longer tie the bike down while moving it on the yellow Sears jack. ............. BC