General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

They make a couple of different thingys that are made for moving your hog around. I dont have the links to em rite now but seems like one was called tail swinger. On that one you put your rear tire on it and you can swing it around and the other , the front and back tires and kick stand sit in it and you can wheel it around. I also have a 2 car garage but I dont drive my car much so I just pull it as far rite as I can get it and park my bike real close to it. And the bitch can still get her car in and out.[8D]

Old 07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)

ORIGINAL: tsl2112

I have a situation where I need to fit 2 cars plus my bike (2005 Fat Boy) in a 2 car garage. One of these lifts from Sears or Lowes seems like the way to go, since they both appear to have casters. What's it like to dolly the bike around the garage on one of these things while it's in the air? I envision pulling in, putting it up on the lift, and dollying it to one side of the garage. It's hard to believe something that cost under $100 is substantial enough, but then again, I hope I'm wrong because this could be the best solution for me.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Check the cycle towing loader out from condor. http://www.condor-lift.com/

Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: tsl2112
.................................................. ..........................

One of these lifts from Sears or Lowes seems like the way to go, since they both appear to have casters.

What's it like to dolly the bike around the garage on one of these things while it's in the air?

.................................................. ..........................

It's hard to believe something that cost under $100 is substantial enough, but then again,
I hope I'm wrong because this could be the best solution for me.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I have the yellow sears lift, pix of it are in my gallery.

And, yes, I have no problem rolling my 06 SuperGlide around,
back and forth, manuerveringinging. With the lift fully extended.

It did cost over 100, 149 or so.

I do strap it down. Always. Period.

Couldn't live without it.

edited to add:

you may need to pick up the HD frame adapters. 30 bux or so??

mud

Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: stc13

someone here mentioned www.jsjacks.com
I had been comparing and trying to justify the cost of a good lift/jack
for the past two weeks, went ahead and ordered the big wheel lift from them this weekend
this looks like a solid lift check it out
Hey stick, be sure to let us know how the JS racks up.

Looks like it should be a performer.

I may have to trade off my yellow sears.

edited to add:

Try it under the beemer too.

mud

Old 07-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I have the red Sears/Craftsman jack, and I have no problems lifting it up and moving it around my garage while lifted. Done it a few times strapped down, and once not. I think it you have it well balanced, and don't try quick movements, you should be fine.

On the other hand, I don't know how long I'd keep it up on the lift though. It has the braces though, which should be fine (I certainly wouldn't leave it lifted with the hydraulic jack portion!)

Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After trying the Sears (yellow) jack I now have the J&S lift. This is a heavy duty jack with large casters that will allow you to roll the bike around on the garage floor. It has steel bars that lock when lifting so you could leave it up on the jack for extended time by letting it down off the hydraulic and onto the bars. For lifting my RK it is perfect.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Red Sears /Craftsman lift.Works ok for lifting.I think of I was going to use it for moving the bike a lot I would buy something else.
You get what you pay for!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

I purchased a J&S jack last Monday 7-24-06 and it arrived Friday 7-28-06. The jack is very well made and the casters allow you to move the bike around with ease. At first I was a little leery of moving the bike around while on the jack but it is extremely stable. It weighs 80 lbs. and is a snap to set up. I am sure that with enough effort some one could knock it off the stand. ( Back in to it with the car or something like that.) Go to their web site and watch the demonstration. www.jsjacks.com I have tried every thing that the video shows and the stand will do what they claim.

PS-J&S warranty is "life time unlimited warranty" and they will stand behind it. They are also quick to respond to querys through E-Mail or over the phone. Also Check the shipping time 5 days to recieve the order process it and arrive at my door. (Thats from Wisconsin to Oklahoma)

Ya lays down your money and ya takes your chances.
Zyklon

Old 07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After reading this thread I ran to Sears and bought the "new" yellow one. I had tried the old yellow one and also the red one and neither would go under my 05 1200 C.

The new one went to a minimum neight of three and 1/2 inches. Sounded great. Problem was there is a crossmember at the very forward part of the two arms and this crossmember fouls up on the kick stand and won't go far enough under the bike to work.

I'm 72 and I'm not going to be trying to hold the bike up with one hand while sliding the jack under with the other hand. I want a jack that will go all the way under. The J&S doesn't have that front crossmember, so that looks like way I'll go. Even though it's considerably more money, I can't help but wonder how much I've wasted buying three jacks from Sears and also making three returns trips.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
alphakayak
Advanced

Hi,

Do you have the red or yellow Sears jack? Do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Kayak

Quick Reply: Question about these motorcycle lifts (like the Sears one or the one from Lowes)