Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Wanna Be

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
greg31
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley Wanna Be

Hey all. My father is turning 50 this upcoming spring and as a special gift my and my mom want to get him his first Harley. He used to have a bike in his 20s and rode tons of dirt bikes so being a somewhat experience bike guy. We want to get him something fairly new, and is comfortable to ride a person on the bike.

So my question is, what would everyone recomend for a 50 year old active guy, looking to cruise with his wife, and still have some fun on.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I assume of course he has asked for a bike and wants to relearn to ride. Remember, 30 years is a long time so he will need to "get back" into riding...like I did. I started out with a smaller bike and rode it for a couple of months until I bought my Harley.

I hate to ruin your surprise but he really does need to go down and sit in a bunch of them to find the right fit. Just buying him one might be an expensive mistake if he hates it after a week or two.

Tell him happy birthday!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I'd suggest you and your mom take him to the dealership when the time comes, and let him browse around and pick one out that HE likes/wants! I've seen too many times people try to surprise someone by buying them a bike and then find out it doesn't fit, it's not the right "style" it's not the right color....or they just plain don't like it! And then it sits around lonely and sad cause nobody's riding the damned thing! Let your dad pick his bike! After all, it IS going to be his right?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

Agreed. Also agree that he may want to ride something cheaper for a bit before taking the plunge with his ultimate bike. Although, he'll know better than anyone how comfortable he is.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's going to cruise with his wife along, he should be able to handle a crusier. I would suggest the rider course be taken. Most states mandate it now to get a m/c license unless he was like me and kept it active thru the years, with little riding being done. I guess a lot depends on how much and how far he plans to ride. It also depends on how much you want to spend......

Old 03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Has he talked about it? Maybe take him to lunch before the big day and make an excuse to stop by a dealer, see what he is drawn to?

As others noted......big ticket item, hate to lock into the wrong one. On the other hand if $$ is no object then have dealer deliver a new Ultra Glide Classic for the garage opening and tell Dad he can go back and get any model he likes, this one is just for effect. If you have that kind of leeway they would probably go along. That would be fun, but expensive!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg31
Hey all. My father is turning 50 this upcoming spring and as a special gift my and my mom want to get him his first Harley. He used to have a bike in his 20s and rode tons of dirt bikes so being a somewhat experience bike guy. We want to get him something fairly new, and is comfortable to ride a person on the bike.

So my question is, what would everyone recomend for a 50 year old active guy, looking to cruise with his wife, and still have some fun on.

Thanks in advance!
Greg;
Speaking from a fathers point of view I suggest you and Mom have
a talk with him. I know it's fun to surprise someone but this different,
It's not like buying him a tie or whatever. I know if it was me, that's
what I would like. Good luck with whatever you decide. And Welcome
to the forum....

Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got back into riding after a 30-something break. I started with an '08 FatBoy.

no problems.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm like aviator, I rented an '05 fatboy in Hawaii after about 30 years of not owning a bike, but rode some, and bought an '08 fatboy that next Feb. It just seem to fix and felt good.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Bushrider
Tourer

First get him a beater so he can re-learn.
Then Heritage, Streetglide, Road Glide, Road King, Electraglide.
Maybe VRod. I've never ridden one but they look like fun.

Last edited by Bushrider; 03-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: New Harley Wanna Be