General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does cold weather reduce MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

After giving it some thought, here's my theory someone can punch holes in. Cold air = dense air meaning your ECM will dump more fuel in to keep the mixture from being too lean = less fuel milage. That being said you have more power because you have more combustion because you have more fuel and air = more power. So the result of cold air means more power but less fuel economy.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.bellperformance.net/pdf/F...ageFactors.pdf

More about the winter blend of fuel and how it hurts your mileage.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All these answers are correct. It is a combination of winter blends, and colder air. Summer blends have a lower Reid Vapor Pressure and contain more energy which will contribute to better mileage. Colder air = denser air = more fuel to burn. You may even notice that your bike runs stronger in the winter because of the cooler air. Some may have heard of a cai? Cold Air Intake. Use to create more horsepower

Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I see the OP has Florida as his home. I'd be interested to hear why they'd need winter blend fuel down there. But I know for a fact this is the problem up here.
I haul gas for Bp and all States have winter fuel. Its cheaper to make and only summer blends are mandated. Summer fuel cuts down on emissions

Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Nuthin' to do with any of that!

I have a pal that is an engineer at a local oil refinery. He set me straight and I confirmed it myself.

Winter blend fuel! It will be here until the end of April.
As soon as the pumps have summer blend fuel, the mileage goes right back up!

I see the OP has Florida as his home. I'd be interested to hear why they'd need winter blend fuel down there. But I know for a fact this is the problem up here.
It's mandated federally, winter blend fuel has more oxygen in it, hence less gas mileage.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:32 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find mine burning more fuel trying to maintain temp (higher rpm). Aluminum dosen't hold heat well like iron does. But colder the air the perkier the engine is to a degree.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been Riding the Panhandle and lower AL all winter long and my fuel light on the Bonneville T100 EFI comes on right on at 132 if I ride it consistently. She does like the cool air once warmed up. the 95 flstn takes a lot longer to warm up but once warm she gets cool too. not sure about the mileage on the flstn yet because I have yet to run a completely full tank. it has two gas caps and I just found out that I have to fill the low side first and then the high to get her completely full.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another variable between winter and summer could be the way you ride. If there's more icy or wet roads, more engine warm up time, tyre warm up etc I spend less time gassing it so would probably get better mileage that way.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234
Oil and tranny fluids are colder and thicker may affect mpg. Takes longer to warm up. My mpg on my 4x4 pickup drops from 18.2 to 17.4 in the winter. It takes it more than 2 miles before it shifts to OD.
Hit it squarely on the head,EFI stays in open loop a little longer thus more fuel.Carbed motors love the cooler air don't waste a minute worrying about it.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice a difference if I'm doing short trips, but longer ones give same fuel mileage as always. I guess alot of the decrease some see is from warming up engine longer. That's 0 MPG right there.

Quick Reply: Does cold weather reduce MPG?