General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
NHGunowner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Jacket..

I have 12" apes on my dyna. They are shoulder height on me. They are a little far away and I ride somewhat leaned forward. I find it very comfortable.
However..
I haven't been able to find a nice leather coat that fits well in my riding position. They always lift up with my arms, and ride high in the front with my forward lean.
I'm in southern NH, I've tried lots of places local, tried every coat at Laconia rally.
Was gonna try Vansons leathers in Fall River MA. They supposed to have great stuff. Tailered if necessary I belive. Expensive.
Anyone got something they like?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a little suprising, because most motorcycle jackets account for "a little" bit of extra length in the arms. I am tall and have been told that I have "long monkey arms", lol. Since I put apes on my bike, my jackets fit even better. Just rode back from Daytona yesterday, and coming up I-95 I was thinking to myself that installing apes was a GREAT thing! More comfort, jacket fits better, etc.

I have a variety of leather jackets, but honestly the HD brand jackets fit me the best. Unfortunately, as far as I know, HD no longer makes jackets in "true sizing", such as a 42 Long (which is what I wear). If you think that might be a solution, keep checking Ebay for your size, but in a "long" version. It would be an older HD jacket, but it would also already be broken in...with added length in the torso and arm areas.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that any jacket that has a bit extra length will still cover your wrists in a regular position. But once you put your arms out/up to reach apes, there's going to be some shrinkage. If you get tailored sleeves, then when you get off the bike your sleeves will be too long. Maybe a longer glove length to compensate? So the jacket sleeve length doesn't appear to short.

Oh, the tangled webs we weave.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 AM
NHGunowner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my fit issue is more with the way the coat rides high than sleeve length. What I need is a coat with more relief in the back for the arms. Seems the ones I've tried just don't have enough. Or maybe I just need to find something I like and really break it in. I did buy one from Walter Dyer leather at Laconia last year. Wore it a couple times and decided I didn't like it. He was nice enough to take it back a week later so I bought boots and a vest from him. He makes quality stuff.