General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 AM
smallthunder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Trailer

I've been looking for information on this for a while and can't seem to find anything so I thought I would post my question.

I have a 2009 Electra Glide Classic and am thinking about getting a cargo trailer for her.

What I would like to, or need to, know is how much weight can I pull or tow?

Any information on this I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by smallthunder; 03-04-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had up to 150 pounds in mine. Wouldnt go any more than that. Even that might be too much but it was for test purposes. Normally only 75 to 100 pounds of luggage and gear on a trip riding 2 up.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
smallthunder
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I have had up to 150 pounds in mine. Wouldnt go any more than that. Even that might be too much but it was for test purposes. Normally only 75 to 100 pounds of luggage and gear on a trip riding 2 up.
Thanks! Do you have a tong weight?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Your statement is a lie. Just Google motorcycle trailer and you will have more information than you will be able to read in a year. Do the same in search on this forum and you will many threads on the subject. You can even go to Harbor Freight and find info.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-04-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
roadking71865
Intermediate

Have no more than 10% of the total weight (trailer & load) on the tongue.
Search "trailer towing tips" and you'll find some good info.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
CroK
Banned

Google 'Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailer'. That differentiates between a trailer for hauling motorcycles and a trailer you pull behind the motorcycle...

Also, you can pay thousands of dollars for one, or check out HarborFreight.com they have one for around $400. Just a normal ball hitch, but many of those used for bikes do also. If yer handy, you can check out... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-trailer.html

Last edited by CroK; 03-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM
smallthunder
2nd Gear

Thanks for the information. I will look those up, and the 10% information is real helpful... no lie.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Your statement is a lie. Just Google motorcycle trailer and you will have more information than you will be able to read in a year. Do the same in search on this forum and you will many threads on the subject. You can even go to Harbor Freight and find info.

Why the pent up hostility and "You Lie" ****?
All most of us on this forum try to do is share some info we know with those who ask.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea, what he said!!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 PM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by lh4x4

Dude, that was a bit harsh. There are ways to disagree with a post besides calling some one a liar right off the bat. He could be, ya never know. But your post seemed a might uncalled for, IMHO. Other than that, I'm not totally sure whose statemnt you disagree with...

As far as weight being pulled, there are quite a few guys who weigh in over 300lbs. I'm one myself. If I am riding with my wife, she adds another 200lb. Yeh, we're obese, but we're enjoyin it! Just sayin, if you count the average rider being male and some where around 185lb, then you could imagine that you have another 200-300lb which you could pull without significant probs. Be forwarned as with any weight added to the bike, your braking and take off times should be altered accordingly.

For tongue weight, I was concerned about that myself, so I installed my hitch on the bike then placed my heavy assed foot on the ball and tested to see the reaction when I shifted my weight to that foot. It doesn't take much to depress the shocks at the position where the trailer will attach to the hitch. If I remember correctly, in order to keep the trailer from swaying significantly, you want to distribute the weight being carried so that 60% of that weight is to the front of the axle. Don't quote me on this, I forget things easily these days, but that's what I seem to recall. I still have to test that on the road, for myself, with the trailer and hitch that I built...

Last edited by CroK; 03-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Cargo Trailer