General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 PM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pulled over 300lbs in my trailer more than frequently.. The trailer weighs about 110 and I'm about 230. I have a hanging scale on my wall that I put the trailer tongue on and try and keep the tongue weight down below 40lbs if possible.. never more than 50lbs... When I first got it I went through two tires in under 10,000 miles because of too much weight on the tongue. I rarely ride 2 up but I usually have my T-bag on my back seat plus everything I stuff in the bags and trunk.... probably close to another 200 to 250lbs. I've towed this combination well over 40k miles with no major problems... Stop time is considerably longer and I would recommend heavier duty clutches if you plan on this much weight... my next upgrade.
Towing takes a bit to get used to especially if the highways near you are concrete instead of asphalt... the distance between the expansion joints can get a bit jerky... hard to explain but you'll find out..

Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 AM
smallthunder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks CroK and IRideMineEverywhere,

Vary helpful indeed. Much to consider there.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

To say someone is lying is not only harsh but just plain RUDE. Hey Croc I followed your trailer build for a while then haven't seen anything for a while, did you finnish it if so I am interested in seeing some pics.
Santa

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

We've been running our Aluma for over 6 yrs now and 70K with very little problem. My wife and I are about 360 lb. togather (to keep peace in the family 2/3's of the weight is me) and really have never worried about the trailer weight. We run about 25 lb in the shocks for the best ride. We changed to radial tires after the first 10K and are still running the same set. There is a little power loss and plan your braking accordingly. Riding with a trailer was different for me when we started, not because of the handling, but just for remembering that it was there.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by santajim

To say someone is lying is not only harsh but just plain RUDE. Hey Croc I followed your trailer build for a while then haven't seen anything for a while, did you finnish it if so I am interested in seeing some pics.
Santa
Got the frame and hitch done, and painted them. Just waitin for bike week to end (we're supposed to head up there again today), then I'll build the boxes. Last I saw on that thread Piney had his paint scheme lookin pretty good. I'm sure mine will look like nothin more than a wood box compared to his.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by Firebike32
We've been running our Aluma for over 6 yrs now and 70K with very little problem. My wife and I are about 360 lb. togather (to keep peace in the family 2/3's of the weight is me) and really have never worried about the trailer weight. We run about 25 lb in the shocks for the best ride. We changed to radial tires after the first 10K and are still running the same set. There is a little power loss and plan your braking accordingly. Riding with a trailer was different for me when we started, not because of the handling, but just for remembering that it was there.
FB, are you saying you have run the radials now for almost 60K? I'd sure like to know which brand you're runnin, I'm lookin for a rear tire now, the Dunlop only gave me a little under 8K on the rear this go-round. Rode up to Daytona Wednesday and noticed after I pulled over to smoke a cig, the rear is close to bald in center now.

BTW, I absolutely love the Fire Truck theme yer runnin on the aluma!

Last edited by CroK; 03-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
CroK
Banned

Anyone who noticed that my pics aren't showing, I seem to be having a problem with the links and have notified the admin. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. I'll post some new pics next week after I've built the boxes.

There are a few others who have posted lately. GREAT WORK GUYS! Love seein other people's work even if it does show mine up!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bushtec and am very satisified with it but if I were to buy one again it would probably be the unigo due to being able to unhook it and roll it into a hotel room at night. I'm actually debating whether to carry the bushtec to sturgis next year. I didn't take it last year and we had a bike lose a motor and hauling all his gear was a major pita

Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
FB, are you saying you have run the radials now for almost 60K? I'd sure like to know which brand you're runnin, I'm lookin for a rear tire now, the Dunlop only gave me a little under 8K on the rear this go-round. Rode up to Daytona Wednesday and noticed after I pulled over to smoke a cig, the rear is close to bald in center now.

BTW, I absolutely love the Fire Truck theme yer runnin on the aluma!
I think he means radials on the trailer....

Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I think he means radials on the trailer....
Sorry I didn't make that clear. I'd kill for that kind of mileage on the bike. But if your still interested the trailer tires are Sussex HP Metric's, 145R12.

Quick Reply: Cargo Trailer