General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Dad

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need Help with Dad

My Dad is a great guy, my best friend, and IMO one cool dude. The story begins when he bought a moped at 67 years old. He rode the back roads of Virginia all summer and that gave him the bug to start riding real bikes again. He bought this one cylinder travesty of a Suzuki and immediately traded it in for a Suzuki Bergman 650.

The Bergman has worked out well for him for several years and he's traveled all over the country on that thing. The problem is it didn't stop there. At 71 Dad bought a Ninja. I think he had a blast on that thing, but he didn't want to keep it. I think comfort over speed was the main concern.

Next he buys a Suzuki Boulevard. He likes that bike but it isn't a Harley. I'm sure they are nice, but to me they are V-Twin copies.

Now, my Dad is 72. I am in awe of him. He is going to ride until he can't ride anymore and maybe a few miles more. Hopefully that won't be for many more years.

Dad is talking about a trike, so I said why not a Harley? Live it up I say! If they weren't so expensive I think he would do it. Now he keeps bugging me to buy him one. He knows that is not possible, but I get the feeling he's interested.

I respect my Dad, so I don't want to tell him how to run his life. Still, I would love to see him on a Harley and I think he's interested in coming over the "dark side" if he gets the right encouragement.

I think my Dad can use the advice of a few good friends on this forum. Don't hold back. He's obviously a wild man so he can take it.

I will print out your replies and send them to Dad.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If he is healthy and strong, whats holding him back? In other words he should be shopping for his next ride right now!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great story! All I can say is you only live once and there is nothing like the feeling you get riding a Harley. Ive had other brands and none compare.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

Tell him that you can't take it with you so buy something nice that you can kick down to me! Tell him that he deserves the best and owes it to himself! Better yet, see if you can rent him one. A day on it and he wont wanna go back to anything else! Good luck and he is an amazing man to be riding at that age! Rock on!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

I would say that he is doing what others have done (including myself) skirting the edges trying other bikes to see if they will work. Go ahead and jump in and get the Harley you want regret it!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
TxMongrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is 75 and has been riding most of his life. His latest bike is an Ultra Classic EG. He's still going strong and even does his own service and repairs. Encourage your dad and tell him age is just a number. My dad took the Rider's Edge and also practices the Ride Like A Pro training. He freaks people out when he does u turns and scrapes the floor boards. Quality time riding with your dad will be priceless! Hell, let him get a pre-owned.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if my dad were still alive, RIP dad, he would have loved to own a Harley. He sacrificed many a dollar for me and my bro's and sis's, and by the time he could afford one he was too old and had too many health problems to ride again. He rode an Indian back in the day. Tell him to enjoy life while he still can, getting old sucks!

Go get-um Atrain's dad

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Time is a wasteing............. It's later that ya think!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If he's able, why not? If I'm able I'll probably have an HD trike when I'm that age. Hell, I'm only about to be 34 and I've been eyeballing HD servi-cars but not as a primary scooter because they wouldn't be as practical as a late model trike.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that I will be able to ride with my father when he turns 70. Having a father that is willing to spend time with you and ride would be worth pushing the limits financially in my book, when he gets done with it the true cost of the the trike would only be the difference between the purchase price and the price you sell it in the end. And remember the one thing that you can never have enough or get back is time.

I know it is easy to say when it is not my money, but like I said I hope that I will be able to ride with him and have the ability to help him do the things that he wants to do especially if it is with me. You have one thing that many of us either dont have or will not have is time. Be grateful and I hope if your father reads this he will keep riding with you regardless of the type of bike.

Last edited by bennenrkc; 03-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Dad