Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing your aluminum with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good ideas, I've used flitz in the past, but gets kinda spendy. Liked the grocery bag idea. Only problem I find with polishing, once you start, you pretty much have to do all. But the results really look nice.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use SIMICHROME for polishing just about everything. When I polish aluminum and because aluminum is porous, it's a good idea to wash the aluminum with warm soapy water after polishing to get the residue off and buff it again.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post!! Thanks for taking the time.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Great how-to. The only thing I would say is that for the cost of the switch plate, when you're at the auto parts store, you can pick up a plastic scraper made of softer plastic. Being softer, it bends a bit to work on contoured surfaces better.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
If you are polishing the cadmium plating off the stock bolts and shining up bare steel, there ain't a wax in the world that is gonna keep them from rusting.
You're right, and I'm not removing the plating; just polishing it. It looks just about like chrome and hasn't rusted on any of them yet, despite a lot of washing.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???? Some people say the HD wheels/ forks etc do not have a protective coating on the aluminum .... some say they do...which one is correct?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice write up with pics, now my question would be on something like the fork lowers why couldn't a guy get them polished to look like chrome and then coat them with something like a clear spray bomb clear coat like you use on wood and other items? Iam just asking i machined a trailer hitch cover once out of aluminum and buffed the **** out of it polished it up then did this i gave it to a buddy and hot sure how it held up but was curious.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They have a coating on the fork tubes i know that if they are aluminum they have a coating if they are chrome then no coating that is what i believe and i can verify that at the shop but iam pretty sure iam right on this.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,632 Likes on 2,098 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
Very nice write up with pics, now my question would be on something like the fork lowers why couldn't a guy get them polished to look like chrome and then coat them with something like a clear spray bomb clear coat like you use on wood and other items? Iam just asking i machined a trailer hitch cover once out of aluminum and buffed the **** out of it polished it up then did this i gave it to a buddy and hot sure how it held up but was curious.
I was going to strip, polish and re-coat the aluminum wheels on my towing van until I found a set of 4 on Craigslist for $50. Here's a link to the page I found to recoat aluminum. I've never tried it but probably will some day.

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/g...directions.pdf

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

bikes reminded me of something we used to do with aluminum polishing: we'd rub it down with a rag powdered with baking soda (I think that was it) and it would instantly take off all the residue so you could do your next rub.
It was so long ago I can't remember. It may have been baking powder, a different product. Heck, any type of flour might work.
I coated some cases with furniture lacquer once and it yellowed later on, so ended up glass beading them instead. That was popular at the time on the limey bikes.
Remember the day.

Quick Reply: Polishing your aluminum with pics