General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil filler funnel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good tip...

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
sddyna
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just cut a 2 liter pop bottle to work for both the primary and oil filter. If it breaks for some reason I have a few drinks, empty another bottle and make a new one!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just trimmed a funnel down that I bought for a dollar or two. I just trimmed the spout of the funnel at a slant to fit in the primary wihout making a mess. I liked the tips on here about the pop bottles catching oil after you pull the oil filter, I'll try that next time.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Cycle World showed it in there new parts section. Stopped by the dealer today and got one for 9.95 plus the sales tax.

It will be a while before I need to use it. My hands are not a steady as they were back in the day so it might save a clean up. I used a cut up laundry detergent bottle for the filter. It was shaped just right and does a good job. HD has one that goes along with the primary funnel but they want 19.95 for the little curved thingy.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
NavyCharles24
Cruiser
Location: Longwood, Florida, Seminole County, United States of America

Ditto! +1

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
I use a simple transmission funnel for a car. Costs about a buck or two. Fill through the chain adjustment cover. Never a drip.......

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Road Funnel* ...

This disposable folding funnel can be taken on the road and used for those times you need to replenish your bike's fluids. The funnel fits easily into your luggage, does not take up valuable storage space, and can be thrown away after use. Convenient tear-off 3-pack means you will always be prepared.

* Road Glide sold seperately

The Primary Oil Fill Funnel ...

This re-usable patent pending funnel makes it easy to add oil to your primary cavity. The funnel simply snaps into the derby cover opening to permit hands-free filling. The flat cone shape makes it easy to fill a tight area with no mess or spills. Smooth orange plastic surface is easy to clean after use.

Oil Catcher Drain Oil Funnel ...

Avoid spilling oil onto your engine when removing the oil filter. The Oil Catcher funnel slips below the filter, and provides access to spin the filter off its mount. Oil is captured in the funnel, and is siphoned into a bottle or catch basin through the drain tube. Smooth orange plastic surface is easy to clean after use.

Transmission/Crankcase Fill Funnel ...

Fill your transmission and crankcase without the mess. This funnel is shaped to fit into tight spaces, and is designed to reach even the toughest access points. The anti-burp design insures smooth oil flow, and the smooth orange plastic surface is easy to clean after use.

Fill-N-Go Fuel Tank Funnel ...

The Fill & Go fuel tank adapter eliminates fuel spills and splash back during fill-ups, and reduces time at the pump. Just insert the Fill & Go over the fuel pump nozzle, and begin filling-up. When the pump clicks off, your tank is full, with no need to top off the tank. Kit includes Fill & Go tank adapter and a convenient storage pouch.

All these Genuine Harley-Davidson products can be yours for the low, low price of $56.29. The Fill-N-Go Funnel comes with an Instruction Sheet in case you get confused on how to use it.

BigLow

Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

I just changed my primary chain oil for the first time yesterday. I took an old windshield washer container (like a Clorox gallon container) and cut it so it would fit in the derby opening. Didn't spill a drop!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I thought it was one of those things woman use when they stand up to pee..sorry couldn't resist
Damn,so that is what that little doodad is for !

I have been "borrowing" it for the scoot and just hitting it with some brake cleaner to clean it back up after the oil change.

Think I'll be hitting with brake cleaner before I use it as a oil funnel from now on.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's actually a great product.......kinda pricey but a great idea.

Filling the primary can be a PITA....

Fast forward to Wal-Mart's auto section......I think it was $4.00-$5.00.

You put the exact amount you need in the reservoir, then open the valve, in it goes.

Didn't spill a drop.

Attached Thumbnails Primary oil filler funnel!-primaryfunnel.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lifelong Biker
Just ordered one of these, seems like a good idea!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HD-Pr...221142001r8968
You can get those all day long for that price at any HD dealer. It's a new item in the spring supplement HD catalog.

Quick Reply: Primary oil filler funnel!