General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

.......all input is very welcomed.

From speaking with quite a few MC "travelers" that cross many state lines.

When your HD was sold new in the US (whether you are the original owner or not). If was produced "50 state legal".

Proper exhaust, lighting, handlebar height etc, you get the idea.

The only exception to this that I can think of would be (exhaust on CA bikes).

Then most of us "customize" something(s) on our bikes.

That being said. I've read several threads about...."What if I ride through (insert state here), do I have to abide by their laws?"

My understanding is YES we do have to comply.....just like helmet laws vary from state to state.

So if Johnny Law pulls you over in Podunk, GA because your handlebars are too tall (or whatever else Sheriff John don't like about you and your scoot)......he could gives a rats *** where your bike is registered.....traffic violation or maybe impound if ya push yer luck.

Am I correct or way off base here?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct. My state allows ape hanger handle bars and blue dot tail lights but if I travel through another state which does not allow such equipment I risk being ticketed. Some people will tell you the tickets won't hold up due to "reciprocity" or other reasons but I can tell you from experience, they are wrong.

If I have a jacked up truck with loud mufflers, tinted windows, tinted headlight covers, etc, and I drive in another state which does not allow tinted windows and I get a ticket it will hold up in court. It is the driver/owner's responsibility to make sure their vehicle is in compliance with the vehicle code where they are driving.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I would think most of what travelers need to worry about is safety equipment while riding in other states. Helmets, lights on, eye protection and crap like that. Radar detectors and helmet headsets are also illegal in a few states. Handle bar height, license plate location and things like that are generally related to rules to secure a state registration and vehicle inspection.Generally if it's legal in your home state you shouldn't have a problem riding through another state. Don't worry about GA, it's those damn communist states that'll get ya!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrax
You are correct. My state allows ape hanger handle bars and blue dot tail lights but if I travel through another state which does not allow such equipment I risk being ticketed. Some people will tell you the tickets won't hold up due to "reciprocity" or other reasons but I can tell you from experience, they are wrong.

If I have a jacked up truck with loud mufflers, tinted windows, tinted headlight covers, etc, and I drive in another state which does not allow tinted windows and I get a ticket it will hold up in court. It is the driver/owner's responsibility to make sure their vehicle is in compliance with the vehicle code where they are driving.
That doesn't make sense. According to the law, you would be expected to stop at the state line, swap out your suspension, change your exhaust system and remove the tint from your windows?

In Illinois, tint on the front windows is not allowed, but cops won't pull over a car with Florida plates and tinted window in the front.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure to leave your guns at home when you come to Canada...and don't forget your helmet.

They are starting to clamp down more and more on loud pipes here. I am pissed because they single out motorcycles, when I hear dump trucks with louder exhausts and air brakes. Or what about those super loud sub-woofers?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, registration, equipment, and inspection laws may vary from state to state, so they are not enforceable. You cannot be ticketed as long as you are obeying the laws from the state where your vehicle is registered.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
That doesn't make sense. According to the law, you would be expected to stop at the state line, swap out your suspension, change your exhaust system and remove the tint from your windows?

In Illinois, tint on the front windows is not allowed, but cops won't pull over a car with Florida plates and tinted window in the front.
BINGO I love this, common sense!

I have said it before and I will say it again...ANY cop who writes a ticket for an equipment violation that is legal in the state where the vehicle is registered should be held held in contempt, locked up for 8 hrs....just to make an example of him and for wasting the poor defendants time and money because of his ignorance. Just my .02 worth...

Do high handle bars, illegal stuff warrant having the cop go after you and follow you yes, but only long enough to see that the vehicle is registered in another state..

Last edited by Johnnyiroc; 03-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ashmarc
.......all input is very welcomed.

From speaking with quite a few MC "travelers" that cross many state lines.

When your HD was sold new in the US (whether you are the original owner or not). If was produced "50 state legal".

Proper exhaust, lighting, handlebar height etc, you get the idea.

The only exception to this that I can think of would be (exhaust on CA bikes).

Then most of us "customize" something(s) on our bikes.

That being said. I've read several threads about...."What if I ride through (insert state here), do I have to abide by their laws?"

My understanding is YES we do have to comply.....just like helmet laws vary from state to state.

So if Johnny Law pulls you over in Podunk, GA because your handlebars are too tall (or whatever else Sheriff John don't like about you and your scoot)......he could gives a rats *** where your bike is registered.....traffic violation or maybe impound if ya push yer luck.

Am I correct or way off base here?
I believe you are correct. I read an article in my motorcycle magazine stating that when this individual went on a road trip to sturgis he received tickets for Handle bars to high.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
I believe you are correct. I read an article in my motorcycle magazine stating that when this individual went on a road trip to sturgis he received tickets for Handle bars to high.
Any cop can write a ticket for anything he wants - that doesn't mean you're doing anything illegal or that he's right.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Any cop can write a ticket for anything he wants - that doesn't mean you're doing anything illegal or that he's right.
True and the result should be this....the cop should be held in contempt, locked up for 8 hrs....just to make an example of him and for wasting the poor defendants time and money because of his ignorance. Just my .02 worth...

It is a waste of fuel, money and the poor guys time that has to fight it Also valuable time in court. If I was the D.A. I would dismiss the ticket and mail you the paperwork, no appearance required, then call the cops boss and say "Listen here"...

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..