General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
You think since most state have those click it signs for seat belts or seat belt mandatory signs when you cross the line, they would mention helmet laws if they apply? Maybe we all need to call 911 and ask before we cross the line into every state? Is Wisconsin helmet enforcers? I gotta go there in July and dont wanna deal with some attitude from some **** ant pistol wearing tax collector.
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse", is an annoying (but true) statement that I have had used against me before.

According to the higher powers, it's supposed to be your duty to find out the helmet law before entering their state.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Just cuz you "never heard" of something, don't make it less true.

Many little laws out there that sound unbelievable.

I live in a no helmet state, but I darn sure make sure I have one when entering a helmet state. I don't wanna pay a fine, or buy a new helmet from the cops buddy.

It's reality. Reality bites sometimes. Accept it, or pay the consequences.

Keep in mind though, equipment mods and such will likely only get you a warning (out of state) and a good check-out.
The story above about the narcotics bust for a tinted window stop? Likely would have been a warning if he wasn't carrying dope.
Loud pipes? likely a ticket with the recent crackdowns and need for local revenue.

But don't be naive enough to think you are safe because of your local laws. That is NOT reality.

I said that because I live in Alberta and have been living and riding here for 22 years. And a helmet is required here, but that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone getting towed because they didn't have a dot helmet.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by RACKnRAIL
I don't just make this stuff up.

I will tell that to four of my friends that got busted in Jasper last August. They all got fined and their bikes were towed, at their expense. One of the bikes was damaged in transit to the yard. I've also heard from several other long time riders the same thing, but whatever...I don't plan on going to Alta. for a long time, and when I do, I will wear a DOT helmet. I guess it depends on where and when.
Not saying it didn't happen I'm just saying that it is unusual. I have lived in Alberta my whole life and have never known anyone that happened to, so it's certainly not the usual thing to happen. However, we all know how it goes, catch one in a bad mood, or say something they don't like and they will hammer you to the wall with anything and everything they can. It's like anything else, it's very much up to the discretion of the guy that's stopping you.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

I was a police officer in a former life but I can only speak for the State of Maryland. As has already been mentioned previously in this thread, the way it worked was as long as you weren't breaking safety-related law, you were ok. In other words, if you have an out-of-state registered bike and you aren't wearing a helmet you can be ticketed. But if it is a state-specific equipment law such as handle bar height, exhaust, etc there is nothing that we could (or would want to) do to you.

Another good example of this was auto license plates. In Maryland, a rear AND front license plate is required. If you have MD tags and are missing a front tag, you can be ticketed. However, if you are registered in another state that does not require a front tag, there is nothing we could do.

Not sure if this helps but hope so.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradlytle
In other words, if you have an out-of-state registered bike and you aren't wearing a helmet you can be ticketed. But if it is a state-specific equipment law such as handle bar height, exhaust, etc there is nothing that we could (or would want to) do to you.
That is interesting to read. This may be the reason for a lot of the confusion in this topic. MN does not have "state specific" equipment laws. If you come from out of state your vehicle is expected to be in compliance with our motor vehicle code.

As far as license plates go though, MN requires front and rear plates. There is a statutory exception which recognizes out of state registrations and allows for no front plate if one is not issued from the home state.

Then there is the whole issue of "compact vs non compact" states. If you are from one state and are ticketed for a moving violation in another state it may or may not go on your home state driving record. We don't have "points" here so I am not sure how that works into the equation.

Many different states, with many different rules and inter state agreements.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
You think since most state have those click it signs for seat belts or seat belt mandatory signs when you cross the line, they would mention helmet laws if they apply? Maybe we all need to call 911 and ask before we cross the line into every state? Is Wisconsin helmet enforcers? I gotta go there in July and dont wanna deal with some attitude from some **** ant pistol wearing tax collector.
Rather than calling 911 is it really that hard to take the responsibility to look it up yourself? When I travel, I bring my HOG atlas and a DOT helmet with. The atlas has a neat little chart in it which shows the states that require helmet use. I am sure similar charts are readily available on the internet or you could call ABATE and have one mailed to you. If you are ignorant of the law and put yourself in the position to "deal with some attitude from some **** ant pistol wearing tax collector" you are bringing it upon yourself. Looks like you already have an attitude. Good luck, enjoy your trip.

Last edited by Retrax; 03-04-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
You are soooo wrong! Keep thinking that way though. Police depts. need your money.
lol. Maybe I should start again... Based on my 15yrs in state law enforcement, 12 spent in traffic patrol, and 5 of those spent in MCSAP (Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program), if you are operating a vehicle which adheres to the registration and equipment standards of your state, you cannot (should not) be cited for an equipment violation.

Its called reciprocity. The states agree to respect each other as it pertains to one state's residents travelling through another state. And like a couple others said, if you were cited for an equipment violation and could show where that vehicle met the equipment standard of the state in which it was registered, you would win.

IF I'm recalling the same incident, the case with the tinted windows had to do with the officer's "right" to make the stop in the first place. He did have a ligitimate reason for the stop. The tint did not conform. Everything he did after that was ok because his reason for the stop was reasonable. It didnt have to do with whether he was "allowed" to cite the guy for the window tint.

But hey, I could be wrong...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
You are absolutely correct. So, when your court date comes up 3 months after getting the citation...you gonna take off work and travel back 3 states to argue a $200.00 ticket?

Of course you're not.......LEO knows that......he won, you lose, pay the ticket.
No, but you might take that hearing date and do one of two things. Hire an intown lawyer that "specializes" in "local" traffic tickets. Every town has one and they work cheap. I've seen them do a hearing for as little as $50. Some companies even keep one on retainer to represent their drivers. Or you take the hearing, send in a written "defense" pleading your case and explaining tot he judge that your vehicle is legal in your home state, and just hope the officer doesn't show. The citation will normally be thrown out. Many departments especially smaller local ones, don't pay their officers overtime for court hearings, and if they're not getting paid...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Helmets that have to be worn have to be DOT... no ifs ands or buts....
Not here in Oregon.

Title 59. Oregon Vehicle Code. Chapter 801.366: "'Motorcycle Helmet' means a protective covering for the head consisting of a hard outer shell, padding adjacent to and inside the outer shell and a chin-strap type retention system with a sticker indicating that the motorcycle helmet meets standards established by the United States Department of Transportation.

Not that it says that it has to have a sticker indicating that it meets DoT standards, not that it actually has to meet those standards. Wear my ACC novelty with a sticker I picked up at a local shop all the time and haven't been pulled over yet. In fact, the only time I wear my DoT helmet is for test rides at work since my employer requires it or when there is heavy rain or hail. There was a court case a few years back and it was established that any helmets with:
hard outer shell
interior padding
a chin strap
a sticker with the letters "dot" on the back
meet the legal requirements.

However if you cross the state line over into WA, you either have a DoT helmet or expect to be pulled over and ticketed in the first few miles.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse", is an annoying (but true) statement that I have had used against me before.

According to the higher powers, it's supposed to be your duty to find out the helmet law before entering their state.
Guess the switchboard will light up when about 500 bikers make the phone call before crossing the state line. PUT UP A SIGN. They did it for seatbelts, they can add to it for helmets.

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..