General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lived in pa pulled over in ohio speeding 83 in a 65 back in 74 didn't have cash to pay on the spot they wouldn't do the card . Had to have family come about 100 miles to pay my ticket the hiway patrol i can't stand .his lic plate read c.b.ch.19 p.s last words on radio were all clear put the hammer down. 10-4.LOL.

Last edited by BLACK BAGGER; 03-03-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
SSN711
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Retrax
People should not offer their opinions as being fact unless they know what they are talking about. Unless you are an attorney who specializes in traffic law (no, I don't care what your divorce attorney thinks about the matter) or you are a licensed police officer you may be giving out bad advice.

YES, you are required to conform with the state's motor vehicle code even if you live in another state and your vehicle is registered in another state. If you get a ticket for an equipment violation which may have been legal in your home state it will still be held up in the state the citation was issued. People get ticketed for ape hanger handle bars in Sturgis all the time.

There was a narcotics case a while back which went to the MN Supreme Court. It was based on a traffic stop. The traffic stop was made due to the car having darkly tinted windows. The defense motioned that the stop (and subsequent investigation which yielded a substantial narcotics discovery) was not legal due to the fact that the car was registered out of state. The state in which the vehicle was registered allowed for the dark tinted windows, hence the vehicle was legal when operated in it's home state. The defense argued the stop was invalid and attempted to suppress the following narcotics evidence which was found as a result of the initial traffic stop.

The Supreme Court held that the stop WAS valid even though the car was registered out of state and was in compliance within its' home state. The court confirmed that the car could be stopped and citations issued for failure to comply with the MN state statutes pertaining to motor vehicle equipment standards even if the vehicle was in compliance with the code of their home state.

Some people may not like it, but that's the way it is.
Wow! This is surprising to me. I would have never thought that an out of state vehicle and the owner/driver with an out of state license/registration/domicile would have to conform to that particular state's regulations. Surprising court decision.

Thanks for the email response to all....I learned something even after 40 years of riding. Another reason (besides money) that I kept my bike stock.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they just wanted the guy hung for the narcotics, you go in to court with a simple equipment violation it would be different.So we are supposed to remove window tint at the state line and reinstall it when we come back across? What EVAR! Am I to carry a spare exhaust system in my saddle bags to change over also? Whay cant these drug runners figure out the best vehicle to do something like that is a USED police car, in good shape, add a couple antennas?

I drove crown vics for 15 yrs and never got stopped on the interstate for ANYTHING.
You can literally drive past one at 80mph with a beer between you legs and they would wave back.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW some people just don't get it.

No........no other state expects you to put your bike or cage back to stock before entering their state.

But they will expect you to pay the fine (as mentioned earlier).

It was your choice to alter a new vehicle or buy an altered used vehicle....customizer be aware.

That's all this thread was really about.
Slice it any way you like.

Last edited by ashmarc; 03-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had always figured if your vehicle is legal in your state, your legal elsewhere. Guess not...at least points are not added to your license if sited for an infraction.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by RACKnRAIL
Helmets are the law here in Canada, but enforcement varies from province to province. For example here in BC you can get away with wearing non-DOT, novelty skull caps, or whatever. However, the second you cross the border into Alberta, you will not only get a ticket, you'll get your bike towed. I don't know about other provinces and if they actually enforce the law. I do remember way back in the early 80's in Alberta when they lifted the helmet law altogether, but it didn't last long.
Not necessarily true. about half of the guys I ride with wear non dot helmets. The only time I have every heard of soemone having problems is if they are A) caught up in a selective enforcement action i.e. we are going to look for people with illegal helmets this week, next week tinted windows etc, or B) have gotten pulled over for something else, speeding etc, and then the helmet issue comes up. I have also never heard of anyone getting towed because they were wearing a non dot helmet. At worst they would tell you to park the bike n come back and get it when you have a legal helmet.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MilesJ
Not necessarily true. about half of the guys I ride with wear non dot helmets. The only time I have every heard of soemone having problems is if they are A) caught up in a selective enforcement action i.e. we are going to look for people with illegal helmets this week, next week tinted windows etc, or B) have gotten pulled over for something else, speeding etc, and then the helmet issue comes up. I have also never heard of anyone getting towed because they were wearing a non dot helmet. At worst they would tell you to park the bike n come back and get it when you have a legal helmet.
I don't just make this stuff up.

I will tell that to four of my friends that got busted in Jasper last August. They all got fined and their bikes were towed, at their expense. One of the bikes was damaged in transit to the yard. I've also heard from several other long time riders the same thing, but whatever...I don't plan on going to Alta. for a long time, and when I do, I will wear a DOT helmet. I guess it depends on where and when.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"50 state legal"
My understanding if that most bikes are 49 state legal - bikes sold in California are 50 state legal. California is, well, different.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
Just cuz you "never heard" of something, don't make it less true.

Many little laws out there that sound unbelievable.

I live in a no helmet state, but I darn sure make sure I have one when entering a helmet state. I don't wanna pay a fine, or buy a new helmet from the cops buddy.

It's reality. Reality bites sometimes. Accept it, or pay the consequences.

Keep in mind though, equipment mods and such will likely only get you a warning (out of state) and a good check-out.
The story above about the narcotics bust for a tinted window stop? Likely would have been a warning if he wasn't carrying dope.
Loud pipes? likely a ticket with the recent crackdowns and need for local revenue.

But don't be naive enough to think you are safe because of your local laws. That is NOT reality.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You think since most state have those click it signs for seat belts or seat belt mandatory signs when you cross the line, they would mention helmet laws if they apply? Maybe we all need to call 911 and ask before we cross the line into every state? Is Wisconsin helmet enforcers? I gotta go there in July and dont wanna deal with some attitude from some **** ant pistol wearing tax collector.

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..