General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so much in Sturgis but every year in Gillette and Sundance, Wyoming Highway Patrol have bikes lined up two abrest writing tickets for handlebar height.
So, if I am doing any thing illegal, drinking, smoking, etc do I want this atttention? I think not. Just loosen the clamps and lower 'em until ya'll get to a state that allows your hands to be higher than your shoulders when riding. Fight it in the election booth not on the street.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
What we should do is get a group of people who are for "the cause". Drive 2 miles into that state (lets say 1000 bikers) we all pull over and start wrenching on our bikes and making them co called legal....but we are going to use the entire shoulder for as many miles as possible. Then wait for the dumb founded cop to ask what the problem is.....Then we as a group lead him to his car, duct tape him into the seat, then saran wrap the entire car, after a stink bomb has been left off in the back seat. ok maybe not, nevermind.
Lets start in the great green state of colorado, ok?
Oh forget that, they are allowing nude parades in Boulder but you must have a stock exhaust system on a motorbike in Denver. Wonder if I could ride my loud bike nude..Oh never mind, that's a visual no one needs.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
im game i get a discoutn on duct tape and plastic wrap
I am gonna run scared if I ever see you with duck tape..I am pretty sure you are not getting a bulk discount for all the tape you are using on the bike.

On the topic like others have said it depends on how the law is written. If law says can not be operated in the state it would not matter what your state said..

Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always say in threads like this, that I check with a friend in the Sheriff's Dept. before posting...what I was told on this was that if you're legal in your home state, and just passing thru Ohio, you might get stopped and questioned on some things, but shouldn't be cited...and if Barney Fife does cite you, it wouldn't be hard to beat in court if you wanted to take the time and energy to dispute it...

And Ohio doesn't require a helmet if you're over 21, so that's a moot point in this state...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CRASH
No, registration, equipment, and inspection laws may vary from state to state, so they are not enforceable. You cannot be ticketed as long as you are obeying the laws from the state where your vehicle is registered.
You are soooo wrong! Keep thinking that way though. Police depts. need your money.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
So...what about cars and trucks? Some states don't have front plates, other states require front plates...same holds true for inspection stickers. Some states require 'em (motorcycles too) and some states don't.

I'm confused...

There is a difference between laws that state registration versus laws that say "operate on the roadways"

In other words, vehicals regestered in this state must pass a motor vehical inspection and display a valid inspection sticker.

If you don't understafnd your laWS in yer state then you need to study up on the and know what the exemptions are.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Dude had to buy the helmet and was given the ticket.
You can put a helmet on or take it off easily enough. I can understand that. Making physical modifications to a vehicle legal in the state in which it is registered is not easy nor reasonable.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
You can put a helmet on or take it off easily enough. I can understand that. Making physical modifications to a vehicle legal in the state in which it is registered is not easy nor reasonable.
Lots of laws that are not reasonable.

But towns need revenue and will be glad to accept your penalty money. (as well as a chance to "check you out").

However, the odds are in your favor for getting let off the hook by the individual cop, if you are polite and sincere (that you are just passing thru and didn't know of the law).
Some cops are human you know.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdan
Not everyone likes cops, understood, but that's a ridiculous statement.
You missed my point entirely. It was not an anti-cop statement. It was something I learned from a cop.

There are millions of laws on the books. A ticket is not a conviction. A ticket is not proof that you committed a crime. If a cop wants to write you a ticket for reckless driving, there is nothing to stop him from doing so - no matter what you are doing. Your recourse is to go to court and plead your case.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Your recourse is to go to court and plead your case.
You are absolutely correct. So, when your court date comes up 3 months after getting the citation...you gonna take off work and travel back 3 states to argue a $200.00 ticket?

Of course you're not.......LEO knows that......he won, you lose, pay the ticket.

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..