Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
pretty much true
Schu... if i was a cop I would be pullin your azz over.... you just have that look!!! Hehehe!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Good thread so far, great responses...

My indy told me this story...I'll try to make it short.

He and a buddy leave NV to CA, WA, OR (up that way).

Up North (WA or OR), they stop for gas....his buddy has a peanut helmet on his seat as he's gassin' up. Local LEO is in the gas station as well and approaches the guys.

They thought he was coming over to say, "Hello", wrong.

LEO gets a big time attitude and asks my indy's friend if that is his helmet, dude says, yes.

Leo: Blah, blah, blah those are illegal and proceeds to write a ticket. Dude gives LEO a little attitude. LEO finally says,

"You have two choices. Park the bike here and don't ride it with that helmet or...there is a motorcycle shop up the road. I will follow you there, you WILL go inside and buy a DOT helmet or I'm impounding your motorcycle."

Dude had to buy the helmet and was given the ticket.

True story.
A helmet is a piece of personal protection equipment, which can be regulated by law on a state to state basis.

That is not at all the same thing as a vehicle that is mechanically legal based on the state of registration.

Loud (non EPA registered) exhaust are illegal in all 50 states under Federal law. Whether or not you get busted for them usually depends on whether or not the LEO's in a local jurisdiction choose to try and enforce a federal law. Obviously, not many of them are interested in enforcing federal laws, or they would be out rounding up the illegal aliens.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Any cop can write a ticket for anything he wants - that doesn't mean you're doing anything illegal or that he's right.
Not everyone likes cops, understood, but that's a ridiculous statement.

They can write violations of law over which they have jurisdiction. In Ohio, some of the equipment laws begin with "No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is registered in this state ..."

Some of the laws leave out the "registered in this state" which would not apply to out of state vehicles. Front plates, window tint and rear bumper requirements are examples.

There has to be a law cited on the citation listing the violation. They can't be made up at random. If it is a Federal law, police officers cannot enforce it due to a lack of jurisdiction.

Most states and municipal corportations (cities) have their own ordinances for muffler noise (generally a set DB rating over time so it is not subjective) and the like. The ordinances usually mirror state codes, writing an offense under a municipal code allows more of the fine money to remain in the local jurisdiction. Not an idea invented by cops, but politicians.

16 years, 14 in uniform, Lieutenant in charge of 44 officer patrol division. Just the facts.

Last edited by ltdan; 03-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People should not offer their opinions as being fact unless they know what they are talking about. Unless you are an attorney who specializes in traffic law (no, I don't care what your divorce attorney thinks about the matter) or you are a licensed police officer you may be giving out bad advice.

YES, you are required to conform with the state's motor vehicle code even if you live in another state and your vehicle is registered in another state. If you get a ticket for an equipment violation which may have been legal in your home state it will still be held up in the state the citation was issued. People get ticketed for ape hanger handle bars in Sturgis all the time.

There was a narcotics case a while back which went to the MN Supreme Court. It was based on a traffic stop. The traffic stop was made due to the car having darkly tinted windows. The defense motioned that the stop (and subsequent investigation which yielded a substantial narcotics discovery) was not legal due to the fact that the car was registered out of state. The state in which the vehicle was registered allowed for the dark tinted windows, hence the vehicle was legal when operated in it's home state. The defense argued the stop was invalid and attempted to suppress the following narcotics evidence which was found as a result of the initial traffic stop.

The Supreme Court held that the stop WAS valid even though the car was registered out of state and was in compliance within its' home state. The court confirmed that the car could be stopped and citations issued for failure to comply with the MN state statutes pertaining to motor vehicle equipment standards even if the vehicle was in compliance with the code of their home state.

Some people may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer

This sounds like one to watch.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
So...what about cars and trucks? Some states don't have front plates, other states require front plates...same holds true for inspection stickers. Some states require 'em (motorcycles too) and some states don't.

I'm confused...
YEAH WTF? am I supposed to pull over at the border and make me a front plate with my kids crayons because the state I live in only issues ONE plate?

Seems to me the states arent very United, as in United State of America. Its more like driving thru many little communist countries the way the laws are varying....

Last edited by Johnnyiroc; 03-02-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

Helmets are the law here in Canada, but enforcement varies from province to province. For example here in BC you can get away with wearing non-DOT, novelty skull caps, or whatever. However, the second you cross the border into Alberta, you will not only get a ticket, you'll get your bike towed. I don't know about other provinces and if they actually enforce the law. I do remember way back in the early 80's in Alberta when they lifted the helmet law altogether, but it didn't last long.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Our resident LEO said it fellas........(anything) illegal in "their" state (not your state)...... and you act like a douche....yer F'ed.

How difficult is this to understand?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What we should do is get a group of people who are for "the cause". Drive 2 miles into that state (lets say 1000 bikers) we all pull over and start wrenching on our bikes and making them co called legal....but we are going to use the entire shoulder for as many miles as possible. Then wait for the dumb founded cop to ask what the problem is.....Then we as a group lead him to his car, duct tape him into the seat, then saran wrap the entire car, after a stink bomb has been left off in the back seat. ok maybe not, nevermind.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
What we should do is get a group of people who are for "the cause". Drive 2 miles into that state (lets say 1000 bikers) we all pull over and start wrenching on our bikes and making them co called legal....but we are going to use the entire shoulder for as many miles as possible. Then wait for the dumb founded cop to ask what the problem is.....Then we as a group lead him to his car, duct tape him into the seat, then saran wrap the entire car, after a stink bomb has been left off in the back seat. ok maybe not, nevermind.
im game i get a discoutn on duct tape and plastic wrap

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..