Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread so far, great responses...

My indy told me this story...I'll try to make it short.

He and a buddy leave NV to CA, WA, OR (up that way).

Up North (WA or OR), they stop for gas....his buddy has a peanut helmet on his seat as he's gassin' up. Local LEO is in the gas station as well and approaches the guys.

They thought he was coming over to say, "Hello", wrong.

LEO gets a big time attitude and asks my indy's friend if that is his helmet, dude says, yes.

Leo: Blah, blah, blah those are illegal and proceeds to write a ticket. Dude gives LEO a little attitude. LEO finally says,

"You have two choices. Park the bike here and don't ride it with that helmet or...there is a motorcycle shop up the road. I will follow you there, you WILL go inside and buy a DOT helmet or I'm impounding your motorcycle."

Dude had to buy the helmet and was given the ticket.

True story.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Helmets that have to be worn have to be DOT... no ifs ands or buts.... Bike modifications I found that if its legal in your state and your registration is current they will usually let you go unless you become a total azzwipe and give the officer crap!! I have ridden through manystates with modified exhaust and I watch the ones that have that little sign before the town "noise ordinance strictly enforced"!!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
That doesn't make sense. According to the law, you would be expected to stop at the state line, swap out your suspension, change your exhaust system and remove the tint from your windows?

In Illinois, tint on the front windows is not allowed, but cops won't pull over a car with Florida plates and tinted window in the front.
No they don't expect you to swap out your suspension at the border.

They expect you to pay the fine instead.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
No they don't expect you to swap out your suspension at the border.

They expect you to pay the fine instead.
This is true, like I stated in my first post, HD's from the factory are 50 state legal. YOU chose to make changes and LEO's could care less.
More $$$ for their county/state.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there's a 30 day law in most states first 30 days probably won't mess with you after 30 days your probably going to get some kind of warning .then ticket & or impound . I'm just guessing .makes since to me . hey who am i. That would be screwed if you were passin thrue and they hasseled you. or just visiting for the holiday.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, playing the Devil's Advocate here. I am a LEO as most of you know. I don't work the roads, I am inside by choice. So, having said that, let's assume that I am a new road-toad in Wyoming where apes above the shoulder line are illegal. You come to Wyoming enroute to Sturgis. I am jealous because I have to work. You have super-apes that are way above your shoulder line. You are from (insert state here) and not Wyoming. Am I to know that apes are legal in your state? What I am getting at is the Officers write for the laws of thier state. If it's illegal here, it's illegal and therefore citable. And I can guarantee you that it will fly here and will not be thrown out. Now, that is the hardline. Most cops that I know of will not cite equipment violations if you aren't being a douche. It's not worth our time. It is Probable Cause to pull you over and check you out though. Same reason I got pulled over in Okla. for having my fog-lights on. I didn't tell the cop I was one until he started to get rude. It's not illegal in Wyoming, but he could have written me for having them on in Ok.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,284 Likes on 1,696 Posts

So...what about cars and trucks? Some states don't have front plates, other states require front plates...same holds true for inspection stickers. Some states require 'em (motorcycles too) and some states don't.

I'm confused...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Any cop can write a ticket for anything he wants - that doesn't mean you're doing anything illegal or that he's right.
pretty much true

Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
So...what about cars and trucks? Some states don't have front plates, other states require front plates...same holds true for inspection stickers. Some states require 'em (motorcycles too) and some states don't.

I'm confused...
See post #16...........

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob

I'm confused...
they get more revenue for a longer period by going after bike equipment then they would if they went after cage equipment.

Quick Reply: 50 State MC Law Compliance...my understanding is..