General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rules for cycle/cager vs semi

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rules for cycle/cager vs semi

I was finisahing up work last night and was coming out of Milwaukee on the interstate. Minding my own business in the right lane and damned if 2 cycles decided they wanted to ride along my trailer. Not a good thing for them. So I thought I would post some rules that I go by when driving a semi. Mostly all apply to interstate driving.

1. My vehicle is bigger than yours and yes I know it. If we bump into each other you will lose every time.

2. There is a 3 blink rule when I want to change lanes (dosent apply in bumper to bumper traffic) See them lights along side the trailer flashing??? That means I am coming over. You get 3 blinks from them and I will then start to move into your lane. You will move ..see rule #1 for why. Just so you know I am not changing lanes for the hell of it. There is a reason. So...either speed up or slow down..dosent matter to me. Just dont hang out along side of my trailer. Ever hear a tire pop? Will scare you to death. Only had 1 person I couldnt pimp out of a lane. He was to busy mixing a cocktail to pay much attention to my turn signals.

3. When I go to pass you. Try not to speed up because you dont want to be passed. Most trucks have governors on them. I had enough speed to get around you before you realized you were going to be passed and decided to speed up and stay even with my trailer. See rule #2.

4. When we get into a construction zone and your lane is ending. I will not let you in my lane in the last 1/2 mile. You should have read the signs 2 miles back saying your lane is ending. Actually had a lady try to force her way into my lane like this one day in the city. I let about 3 vehicles over and then closed the gap. Next thing I hear is metal on metal. Was a 3mph hit but it opened up the whole side of her car. No tickets or anything for me.

5. If you are nice and let me over look for my 4 ways to come on for a few seconds ar all of my trailer lights to blink on and off. No..it dosent have a short. I am doing that as a way to say thanks.

6. In the city...the rule is if I miss your vehicle by an inch it may as well be a mile. Usually when I am turning a corner. A miss is a miss. I know exactly how much room I have to make the turn. Went to make a delivery one day and turned into a lot. Missed a ladys vehicle by an inch and she actually came up to me and asked if I know how close I came to her vehicle. I told her yep..thats why I didnt run into you.

7. If you insist on not doing the speed limit in the center /left lane on the interstate I will try to help you either speed up or move over. The reason there is a taillight on your back window is so I can get closer to you and still see when you apply your brakes. The closer I get the better the odds are that you will move over or speed up. Why?? See rule #1. I know you will not lock up the brakes to make me back off. I also have a better view of whats going on in front of you so if something is going on up the road that is going to cause you to slow down even further I am already on the brakes before you even think about it.

Thats about it. These rules do NOT apply if you have any children in the vehicle with you.
Except for last night I never have a problem with bikes. As long as your headlight is on (brights is better) I do everything I can to know where your location is at all times.

One last note..I would like to take this time to thank all of the ladys that wear short skirts and put there left leg up on the dash while driving. It makes my day.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 PM
HDFAN
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rules for cycle/cager vs semi

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 07-29-2006, 12:55 PM
2005CLASSIC
4th Gear

Hate to say it but most if not all truck drivers i know or have met are alot more courteous than that. Just because you have the biggest thing on the rode does not mean you own it. So how many people have you killed or injured with the 3-blink rule. And by the way I give every truck I see as much room as possible because I know there are some (not many thankfully) that think just like you do

Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Branded
Road Master

I think you took his 3 blink rule wrong. I think hes refering to the morons that apperenetly in some states they teach to drive in the high speed lanes and p!ss on the 15 cars they are holding up behind them. Think the 3 blink rule is to let them now to **** or get off the pot.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a 33K GVWR service truck in the Los Angeles area. Traffic gets worse every day. I believe the original post was designed to make a point. I don't think bubbas1 does all the things he said literally but I definitely agree with the points he is making. People don't realize how much weight we are trying to control when they cut us off, or speed up when the finally figure out they are being passed....
I don't use the 3 blink rule, but I have seen it done. I do what I like to call, the "swerve". I let the blinker run for 20 or 30 seconds and when they don't let me over, I cross the line slightly and come back into my lane. Usually reminds the person that I need to get over.
We spend a lot of time in our rear view mirrors and as a result, when able, I will give as much room for the bikes to get by as well, although, they usually are in the faster lanes.

Dave

Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM
bigmo_dynasb
Cruiser

i go by the 3 blink rule myself when im in my truck to...if u dont move... i will cross the line and move back to my lane to remind you to move

Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bubbas1

I was finisahing up work last night and was coming out of Milwaukee on the interstate. Minding my own business in the right lane and damned if 2 cycles decided they wanted to ride along my trailer. Not a good thing for them. So I thought I would post some rules that I go by when driving a semi. Mostly all apply to interstate driving.

1. My vehicle is bigger than yours and yes I know it. If we bump into each other you will lose every time.

2. There is a 3 blink rule when I want to change lanes (dosent apply in bumper to bumper traffic) See them lights along side the trailer flashing??? That means I am coming over. You get 3 blinks from them and I will then start to move into your lane. You will move ..see rule #1 for why. Just so you know I am not changing lanes for the hell of it. There is a reason. So...either speed up or slow down..dosent matter to me. Just dont hang out along side of my trailer. Ever hear a tire pop? Will scare you to death. Only had 1 person I couldnt pimp out of a lane. He was to busy mixing a cocktail to pay much attention to my turn signals.

3. When I go to pass you. Try not to speed up because you dont want to be passed. Most trucks have governors on them. I had enough speed to get around you before you realized you were going to be passed and decided to speed up and stay even with my trailer. See rule #2.

4. When we get into a construction zone and your lane is ending. I will not let you in my lane in the last 1/2 mile. You should have read the signs 2 miles back saying your lane is ending. Actually had a lady try to force her way into my lane like this one day in the city. I let about 3 vehicles over and then closed the gap. Next thing I hear is metal on metal. Was a 3mph hit but it opened up the whole side of her car. No tickets or anything for me.

5. If you are nice and let me over look for my 4 ways to come on for a few seconds ar all of my trailer lights to blink on and off. No..it dosent have a short. I am doing that as a way to say thanks.

6. In the city...the rule is if I miss your vehicle by an inch it may as well be a mile. Usually when I am turning a corner. A miss is a miss. I know exactly how much room I have to make the turn. Went to make a delivery one day and turned into a lot. Missed a ladys vehicle by an inch and she actually came up to me and asked if I know how close I came to her vehicle. I told her yep..thats why I didnt run into you.

7. If you insist on not doing the speed limit in the center /left lane on the interstate I will try to help you either speed up or move over. The reason there is a taillight on your back window is so I can get closer to you and still see when you apply your brakes. The closer I get the better the odds are that you will move over or speed up. Why?? See rule #1. I know you will not lock up the brakes to make me back off. I also have a better view of whats going on in front of you so if something is going on up the road that is going to cause you to slow down even further I am already on the brakes before you even think about it.

Thats about it. These rules do NOT apply if you have any children in the vehicle with you.
Except for last night I never have a problem with bikes. As long as your headlight is on (brights is better) I do everything I can to know where your location is at all times.

One last note..I would like to take this time to thank all of the ladys that wear short skirts and put there left leg up on the dash while driving. It makes my day.

Typical BBR/CB drivel. This post really doesn't have the full effect without hearing it with a barely understandable redneck drawl, and a lot of echo reverb, but is entertaining in the least.

Please don't tell too many people you're a truck driver as it gives the proffessional drivers a bad image. The most idiotic part of the post was number 7, the part about tailgating a passenger vehic

Old 07-29-2006, 01:28 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Why are the rules different or do not apply if there are children in the car? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if there is an a-hole driver who won't let you over for whatever reason why can't you just slow down? I think most people on the road are polite and give 18 wheelers the room they but I have seen some real a-hole 18 wheel drivers too. I am just curious.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:29 PM
jigman
Cruiser

Eveything stated is pretty much common knowledge/courtesy/roadrules to me. Nothing too unreasonable. I do alot of traveling by car in my work and what I hate about some truckers is when on a mountain pass they slow down to about 30mph and ignore all the slow vehicle pull outs no matter how long the line of traffic is behind em. Couple that with a double yellow line for 30 miles and you are looking at one pissed off dude. That crosses the line into owning the road and I do understand they gotta get where their going-but so do I.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

Why are the rules different or do not apply if there are children in the car? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if there is an a-hole driver who won't let you over for whatever reason why can't you just slow down? I think most people on the road are polite and give 18 wheelers the room they but I have seen some real a-hole 18 wheel drivers too. I am just curious.
A. Because it gives them a false sense of chivalry.

B. Because they are working piecemeal for less than minimum wage and

C. Because they pay a lot of fuel taxes, (around 13,000 per year per truck) and are under the false impression that they do, in fact, own the road, and are therefore well within their rights to push you around/intimidate you with their increased weight/size.

I'm not trying to make an *** of myself, just trying to get the point across that a less than professional attitude is unacceptable when found in a group of people (such as truckdrivers) who have such a profound impact on the safety of the motoring public.

Quick Reply: Rules for cycle/cager vs semi