General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidemount license plates & state laws?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sidemount license plates & state laws?

So I've been finishing up some of my winter mods and went ahead and installed a swingarm mounted license plate/brake light holder. I've got a new smooth rear fender so I had to relocate. It was a tight fit on the left side with the pully and belt guards so I decided to mount it on the right side. I've not seen many at all mounted on the right, is there a reason everyone mounts to the left?
Also I found this In our state DMV codes:

Alaska Statute Sec. 28.10.171. Display of registration plates.

(a) When two registration plates are issued for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which issued, one in front and the other in the rear. When one registration plate is issued, it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle for which issued.

(b) Every registration plate issued under this chapter shall be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, with the upper edge of the plate horizontal, at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground measuring from the bottom of the plate, and maintained in a location and condition so as to be clearly legible. However, when considered necessary to insure legibility, the commissioner may provide by regulation for another method of installation.

. A guy COULD read this to mean that vertical mouinting is NOT LEGAL, or could he? TO ME it's just saying that the upper edge of the plate has to be horizontal, NOT crooked or something??
Here is what it looks like.

What say YOU?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

The way I interpret it, you have it mounted illegally. That being said, it's all up to the officer's interpretation at the time if they want to give you a citation.

I've been big in the Jeep world for several years, and know that my rig is not street legal in many states. My tires stick out a couple inches beyond the fender flares, but have never had an issue. Some friends of mine have had issues because of the same type of infraction...it's all how much attention you draw to yourself, I think. If you don't draw any extra attention to yourself by doing careless/foolish things you may never have an issue...or the officer could be having a bad day and get you even though you're obeying every other law.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Well said! where are you in the ROK, Kun or Osan? I'm retired AF Weapons...

Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go by your local DMV and get a better understanding !!!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm at Osan again, been back for just over a year this time. Plan on staying here until I retire in three more years...then get a new job, likely here. I always wanted to get stationed in Alaska, best I could do was get up there on leave several times while my folks had the lodge and charter down in Homer.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 AM
32vld
Road Master

alsakajeff

Illegal. Depending on how you ride, look the cops may chose to ignore or use as a reason to pull you over.

I have a 05 jeep. Love to take the doors off. Mirrors are attached to the doors. With the top down as well there is no blind spot and a quick turn of the head I can check to see if the side is clear. Never caused me to have a close call or any call.

The authorities say never trust your mirror always turn your head to check before you make a move.

That being said I in my 50's, drove my jeep from 05 to 09 and the cops never bothered me.

My 20 year old son took the jeep with the top down and the doors off to the Robert Moses state beach on Fire Island with some friends. They all had there seat belts on.

The cop watches them get in the jeep and pull away. As soon as they got out of the parking lot he pulls them over and gives him a ticket for no mirrors.

I ordered two round side view mirrors from Zanotti HD, saved a lot. You see jeep door hinge on the body is essentially a round tube. So the mirror stem fits in and extends enough to secure with a nut.

Pled not guilty, mailed the receipt for the purchase of the mirrors along with the ticket and it was thrown out.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsj55@yahoo.com
Go by your local DMV and get a better understanding !!!
HAH! that's a good one. to think you'll learn anything useful at the dmv. pff! :P

i had this exact question (what motorcycle license plate mounts are legal) and NO ONE at the dmv knew. i called three different departments, including traffic court and the tagging office, and not one of the dozen people i spoke with knew the answer. they even transferred me to the state dmv office in atlanta, and i wasnt able to get a definitive answer from them either.

i think the most common response i did hear, though, was "if it's legible from the rear, you should be ok." cops around here have said the same.

like the above posters have said, so long as you dont ride like a tool, cops shouldnt be hunting you down just to ticket you for a side/vertical mount plate.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is funny, I would never of read it as any edge. After reading it several times, I say they want it mounted square on the vehicle. However, I bet you are not the first to question the law. I do not think I would call the the local DMV, any dumb-*** could answer the phone. Write to the state and ask for a clarification. That way if they say you are good, you have the letter, if you ever get pulled over.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here in nova scotia the regs are
Display of number plate</EM>

20 (1) Number plates assigned to an owner and required to be attached to a vehicle shall be attached thereto and displayed as prescribed by the regulations.</EM>
(2) Every number plate assigned to an owner and required to be attached to a vehicle shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height not less than 300 millimetres from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. </EM>R.S., c. 293, s. 20.

so horizontal and vertical is not mentioned just minimum height off the ground and that it is clearly legible

oh and 300 mm is 11.811 inches

Last edited by NSCoyote; 03-01-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 AM
swinger27
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing that moutning it hor. cant be illegal considering the 2010 stock vrod comes that way. Guessing there is som guidleines yet check out the 2010 vrod muscles.

Quick Reply: Sidemount license plates & state laws?